Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:flame: Today I got a letter from the food stamp office it said that I had not used my food stamp card for 30 days. Icalled the # on the back of card and checked(they keep track of date what store,how much spent) so okay it been 32 days big deal I have a freezer still full,panrty half full and a big graden going crazy but with this hot hot weather is due to die down any time.
My dad taught me to eat what you grow in the growing season so we have been eating the fruits and all kinds of veggies and morte veggies. So I dont need a lot. I like to go heavy shopping about every 2-3 months to make it worth my time and the gas to do it, each trip is at least 60 mile any way I go.
So my problem is they say they can save my food stamps to call and ask them and to call bcak when I want them they will return back to my card. So what do I tell them? If I tell them I am eating good from my garden can they say I dont need the stamps then? I like to fill my freezer when turkeys are cheep and other things that go on sale is that wrong?last thanksgiving and christmas was bare on food I dont want to beg for baskets when some one else may need them.
and its been hot things will spoil before I get home because when I do go shopping its a all day thing to hit all the ads.
Can they take them if I say I eat from my garden? hey I have lost 30lbs from june to now by eating apples,tomates,cucs,3 kinds of squash,mellons,and more tomatoes, You get the picutre lots of fresh home grown stuff I even trade with my nighbor for more veggis. thanks for your help ,paula :flame:

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,532 Posts
You would think they would appreciate someone like you. I know we are getting them, well now I don't know since DH went back to driving his school bus route again. We were getting $114 a month and I used mine up in nothing flat.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not spend them all when I get them I have been trying to save up on them so I can do some heavy shopping when it cools off, I do not buy junk the kids have been making veggie pizzas that is has junk has it gets and if I do buy pepperoni I shop at a place called Shelters discount and it 2lbs for $1.50, I can go there and have a overfull cart and only spend $60.-70. and have no room left in freezer and panrty,paula

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
I would just tell them that you can only get to the store once every two months or so, no need to explain why, if they ask just say it's a transportation issue or something. Tell them that you like to make one large shopping trip every two months and that you buy in bulk and cook everything from scratch, premaking meals that you then store in the freezer. The worker will be so amazed by that concept that their jaw will drop and they'll stop pestering you.

Good for you budgeting the stamps so well. Years ago, when DH and I used food stamps as poor starving college kids we had to CAREFULLY budget every food purchase to make the stamps last the whole month...but we did it! :)

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,691 Posts
They are trolling and expect more 'checking' on people getting $5 worth of benefits than those claiming $100K in market losses. I'd tell them you only go to town every so often due to the HIGH price of gasoline and the distance of the store from your house. You should NOT lose any benefits and I am of the opinion they cannot 'take back' your card. I think I would call the USDA (or is it the Dept of Ag that monitors the food stamp program)? Are you sure your letter is legitimate? Again, just tell them thank you for their concern and you'll be going to the store as planned according to your schedule. Geesh... from what I find below, what the state is doing is NOT LEGAL!!

http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/applicant_recipients/using_foodstamps.htm

http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/applicant_recipients/default.htm
What I found in FAQ
See #19
19. Do I have to use all my Food Stamp benefits up in the month that I receive them, or will they be carried over into the next month?
Any benefits that you have remaining in your Food Stamp EBT account at the end of the month WILL be carried over into the next month.

However, if you have not used your EBT card at all for one year, the State will begin the process of permanently removing your food stamp benefits from your EBT account. There are also some States that will begin permanently removing your benefits after 9 months of inactivity to your account. Please refer to the State training materials you received at certification to find out if your State permanently removes benefits after 9 months or after one year.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/faqs.htm#16

·
Registered
875 Posts
Here in Georgia, the benefits roll over to the next month and we have never heard of anyone being threatened of lost benefits by not using their card every month....

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
As bad as I hate to say it, I will because I think it may help some of you.
We get food stamps also. They have cut us down to $54 a month but every little bit helps me get a grasp on what is happening.
I bought chickens with what we saved with them one month. Hey they are going to be laying eggs in a few weeks.
I have been feeding the chickens from what we saved on food with the stamps.

ANY TIME YOU HAVE EXTRA FOOD STAMPS, at the end of the month, use them to stock up.
Buy food you can put back.
We had a heck of a load of food put back, when I fell off the scafold. I bought it and paid hard earned cash for it, but it ran out.
My wife signed up for food stamps while I was still in a wheel chair. We lost over $400 worth of them because I thought I was going to get better.

Rat Pack everything you can and don't let them go bad.

I didn't want to say all that but I sure wish we had that $400 worth of food right now.

I don't care about myself. It's my family I worry about.
Buy up dry goods that takes nothing but water or canned food if you can keep it cool and dry.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
If you don't need them, don't get them. Reapply if and when you do need them again.

It makes sense to me that if you are not using them, you don't really need them. When winter comes, I can see your situation changing. I guess you could use them to stock up for that time, but I can certainly see their point. So many people get welfare when they truly don't need it - how else are they supposed to know who to look at?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If you're eating good from your garden YOU should be the one saying that you don't need the stamps.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
There is A Gov't sponsered food program in this country its called Angel Food Ministries For $25.00 You get A great deal of food, And after you purchase that Pkg. there are 3 more MEAT bundles for $18.00 Each. Or All four for $80.00 And they Take Food stamps too. I ordered the base $25.00 pkg today for Deliery on the 25th of Aug.. By the way It is distributed thru your Local Church.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
We ordered the main package and the fruit package and were pretty impressed. The fruit/veggie package was not the typical bananas, grapes, apples and oranges. We got avocados, grapefruit, plums, peaches, tomatoes, asparagus and I don't remember what else - but it was well worth the money.

Ours is through the senior citizen center.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First Off to the poster who saID i DID NOT NEED THEM I live off of $636.00 a month on disabity, I pay a morgage, homeowners Ins,prophane,Eltc.,phone,car ins. so theres not much money for gas to go shopping every 30 days can you live off what I get a month and still do all of that I own nothing fancy I havent bought clothes in 10 years I own more than what I can wear what I did buy did not cost over $5.00 at the clearance rack. I only get 2 channels on tv. my phone and internet is only $14.00 a month. I need plenty of repairs around here but cant afford it without the food stamps and my garden my kids could not eat. I am very upset that they took away $200.00 in benifits from my card I was goona spend them when my supplies wore down some I live in a moblie home so storgage is a issue.
I went ahead and wrote the letter and sent it off so I will wait and see what they do, I am just afraid a good sell will come up and wont have the money to stock up, paula

·
Registered
148 Posts
Do you have a store nearby that accepts Food Stamps? You could stop by there and pick up something every once and while to keep it from flagging. Pick up some items to stock up now that you will use this winter and still do your bi-monthly runs.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Thanks Rocky, I've seen worse things not be deleted. That's why the asterisk was used- so it wouldn't be worthy of deletion.

It was probaby the sentiment-not the grammar :Bawling:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
They did not take them away, they said call them and they will put them back on your card. For all they knew, the card had been lost or stolen since it was not being used.

You are the one who said you were eating out of your garden, and that you had not used the card in over a month. Sounds like you did not need foodstamps during that month....

I'm sorry if you think we jumped to conclusions, but we were just going on what you said.

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,532 Posts
james dilley said:
There is A Gov't sponsered food program in this country its called Angel Food Ministries For $25.00 You get A great deal of food, And after you purchase that Pkg. there are 3 more MEAT bundles for $18.00 Each. Or All four for $80.00 And they Take Food stamps too. I ordered the base $25.00 pkg today for Deliery on the 25th of Aug.. By the way It is distributed thru your Local Church.

We just discovered a local church near us does this and we plan on signing up!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
james dilley said:
Angel Food Ministries and SHARE (what it's called in other states) is not government sponsered. It's basically a co-op that pools it resources in buying bulk purchases. There are no income requirements, or anything liek that to participate.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I didn't think that they could take back your benefits. Mine roll over into the next month if we haven't used everything.

You can store stuff every where, I realize that the freezer will only hold so much. But other things can go under the beds, in the very back of cabinets in those spaces where things don't fit.

Be creative on how you store stuff. I have a friend who lives in a mobile and she has stuff all over the place. They took out the big tub in the master bath and filled it with shelves and that is her main pantry.

We had the SHARE program in FL where we lived, but with it you had to volunteer for 2 hours plus the cost of food. Have they changed that? They have the Angel Ministries here, but I am not sure if they take Food Stamps.
I just looked and it looks like they no longer do one here locally.

Blessings,
Debi

1 - 20 of 62 Posts