Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, found a site of a couple that lived out in Arizona (I think) and kept their canning jars in 55 gallon metal drums with a special lid, etc....

probably found their site through here, but the name escapes me right now.

So anyway, I got a great deal on 30 or so metal drums from our local DRMO, cost out to 4 dollars apiece, they have humidity gauge, pressure relief valve, and are really nice. Were used to ship airline pieces around.

Bought them to use primarily for food storage out in MO when we move next summer, but wanted to try and see if I could use them in the case of the other website, but have a few questions

Would the food freeze, I think it would leading to busted jars. They are water tight and would be under shelter anyway (probably pole barn) and hold a ton. Would I need to build some sort of Root Cellar to keep them from getting too cold?

Any ideas? I hope to have an inside lane to getting more once they pop up. Just wanting to see if they would be viable for canning storage.

On a side note, they all came with 4 packets of desiccant, huge things that almost all of them are re-usable. Oven at 245-275 for 10-12 hours....so nice little surprise..

·
Semper Fidelis
4,609 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, thought it was listed above, we are in GA right now, middle or so and looking to move next summer to Winona, MO....

Today was nice and cool, but wasn't cold.....I figure dry storage is my best bet

·
In Remembrance
1,625 Posts
Winona...West Plains....Mt. View. Yup, you are going to have to take freezing into consideration. That area is expecting snow/Ice, 20/25º for the next 3 nights. Not atypical for winter in this area.

The barrels sound really nice, but you are going to have to figure on a root cellar or heated bldg of some sort.

Welcome to the area. Perhaps a little premature, but welcome anyway.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
I have several cases of post TEO food (I'd only eat in a dire emergency... some of the stuff is over twenty years old) that I store out in my unheated barn... we get freezing weather regularly here, sometimes for days at a time, and my water pipes have froze, but haven't lost any of the home canned goods yet to freezing. I might just be lucky, I don't know.

Personally, you couldn't force me to live in a house so small I couldn't keep all my 'groceries' in it.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Stay with me on this one........
If heat tape were rapped around the barrel may be 6 inches above the bottom . . and then 6 inch thick fibreglass insulation wrapped around the barrel all the way up . . . .
And of course sitting on 4 inches of blue foam with a very thick insu lid . . . . . .
Automatic heater turn on of the heat tape would cost very little for the electric............

And there you have Jim's automatic freeze protection.......

The beauty of barrels is their being critter prof.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts