Food Shelf Cow Update

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Haggis, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I had nearly given up on the idea of beng able to give a butchered cow to the local food shelf and soup kitchen; no help, no butcher. :(

Then we found out that the older cows and the bulls had a virus that had prevented the cows from carryng a calf to full term. After that I thought that I would not donate the cow as it was not in peak health, but our vet assures me that nothng is wrong with the meat. My family has already butchered the oldest bull, and will butcher a cow for our freezers, but the really good news is that a local fellow, who does custom butcherng, has offered to convert another of the cows into hamburger for the food shelf/soup kitchen; for free. :)

This will leave us with 2 cows to send to market, a young bull to castrate for next year's beef, and 3 seed stock heifers from our Milking Devons.

God is truly watching even when is seems otherwise.
    Our children will have plenty of beef for their families for the next year.
    The poor folks in the community will get a protein boost.
    Our 2 Jersey cows, our Jersey heifer, and 3 of the Milking Devon heifers are clear of the virus; and of them the 2 older cows are carrying a calf, and 1 of the Milking Devon heifers is carrying a calf.
    A young bull, part of next year's beef, is already in the paddock;
    and just 2 cows to sell at a loss.

Now, if I could just find someone who would like to buy 2 registered American Milking Devons: a 4 year old and a 3 year old, with a treatable virus really cheap ($375 a head. The nice lady who sold them to me asked $1000.), I would feel like I had reached nirvana. Otherwise the poor dears will be off to market on the 12th of December.

2. RyleeM

RyleeM Active Member

If the disease is treatable - why do you have to sell them?

Where are you located? I am in Ne.

3. RyleeM

RyleeM Active Member

Do you have any picture of these girls? I have researched the breed a little, but would like to see a photo.

4. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

It is treatable but I don't want it in my little herd. The vet says the cows will have to have a shot every year prior to breeding and they must always be AI bred to stop the spread of the virus.

5. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I live 65 miles north of Duluth, Minnesota. Send me an email address and I'll send you some photos.

On the cattle forum I mentioned the name of the disease and told something about it. Make sure to read it as I don't want to misrepresent these cows.

6. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

How much freezer space do they have? We have a program for donating cows here but a lot of the food banks don't have any freezer space at all so we end up having to find them "loaners".

7. RyleeM

RyleeM Active Member