Food questions... what's best

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by hmcgov, Jan 4, 2006.

1. hmcgov

hmcgov Member

Hi everyone...

Well, my colony is going GREAT so far! I'm going to have to get some pictures to show everyone as soon as I can figure out how to post them on here!

Anyway, I have two questions about feeding. From the breeder we got a bag of just regular rabbit pellets and I went to the feed store today to get a new bag so I can start mixing them before the final switch. All he had was "Rabbit Developer" and that's what he said is best and wants to keep getting me. I looked at the analysis and the protien is the same and there is twice as much fat in it and slightly more of everything else too. I was wondering if that really IS the better choice. My rabbit babies are going to be 1/4 Chincilla and 3/4 NZ... so I'm expecting heaftier babies anyway and planning to butcher at 5 lbs. and didn't know if the added expence would be worth it since it is the adults that are going to be eating the most of the food. Opinions?? It's $5 more/bag... and that will add up over time and as I get more breeding stock.

Also... we just got a square bale from a friend for them and was wondering if any colony raisers keep their bales in a hay rake like many cage raisers do or if the bale is just sitting in the enclosure. I dont want too much of the hay to be wasted or soiled because we are going to have to by buying it a bale at a time once this one is gone... but I wasnt sure if it was worth it to construct something like a rack for inside the colony setup. Any thoughts on this?

H.

2. DazzleBunny

DazzleBunny Member

I would feed whatever has the most QUALITY ingredients, but you also dont want your does getting too fat either. Those babies will eat more than you think too while still with mama, or in growout pens. As for the hay situation, you might construct a hay rack on one wall of the enclosure. A good idea is to take the small chicken wire and attach it to the wall by stapling it along the bottom and sides, leaving the top open. Sort of like a pocket, and just stuff a few flakes in at a time.
    The rabbits will just pull out what they want and it wont leave so much soiled on the floor of the pen.
    Even just buying a horse hay rack and mounting it as low as possible on the wall to hold a few flakes works ok, but the chicken wire works better because the holes are so small, less falls out.
    Stephanie

3. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

As far as feed goes, I'm using Blue Seal right now. It doesn't contain animal byproducts, and it also contains "extras" to boost the rabbits' immune and digestive systems. One of the cheapest feeds in our area too. There are other good brands out there: Manna Pro, Purina, Dumor (TSC stores), etc. Local feed mills sometimes have good rabbit feed, and even if they don't, they may be willing to make some for you.

Just check the feed labels--you wouldn't believe what goes into some feeds.

4. hmcgov

hmcgov Member

Thanks, but that bring up a new questions... what is it is SHOULD be looking for in a quality feed?? I have lots of experience looking at ingredients in the food I give my dogs and cats... but since I'm new to rabbits I don't really know.
    H.