Food question

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by kell, Feb 11, 2005.

1. kell

kell Well-Known Member

Is it all right to feed rabbits just hay and water?
    KEL

2. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

You'd be a lot safer with complete, balanced pellets. I know folks back in the olden days fed their rabbits hay in addition to root crops, etc., but it involved a lot of guesswork. Besides, today's stepped up breeding programs need the nutrition supplied by quality rabbit pellets. Hay makes a great supplement, something to keep them busy, but I wouldn't use it for their sole food source. :)

3. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

No. You'd be putting your rabbit's health at risk. I feed hay in addition to a certain ammount of feed daily. The feed contains minerals they need.

4. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

If you feed unlimited GOOD quaility hay, you can feed a whole lot less pellets. I kept my bunnies on hay and water for a while. They got thinner, but not underweight. For does with litters, pellets are a must. It also depends what the purpose is. For meat rabbits, pellets are needed. If you've got a few pets, you could feed just hay and water.

5. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

From my experience, there is not nearly enough nutritional value in any single natural food source to be fed exclusively. The simple evidence of that would be an animal losing weight from eating just hay. Can't be done - at least not if you want a healthy animal, rabbit or otherwise.

6. kell

kell Well-Known Member

Okay so I need to feed my rabbits more than just hay, but if I run out of pellets could I feed them only hay for a few days until I can go get pellets? I've done that before and I didn't notice anything wrong with my rabbits, but they're good at hidding that sort of thing :rolleyes:
    KEL

7. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

:) Yes Kel ,, If you wake up saturday morning and have no feed ,, can't get any home to the rabbits till after work monday afternoon ,, feed them hay and plenty of water and they'll be fine ,,

if you have a nurseing doe this might pull her down somewhat tho ,, she needs to be kept on lots of pellets ,, fryers will have a setback in weight gain too ,, lol would probably be good for the bucks occasionally ,, :haha: