Food/Meat slicers?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RedneckPete, Dec 23, 2005.

1. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Let’s talk food slicers. I just got my bacon back from the smoker and need to slice it. Figuring I would be doing this for many years I started looking into a slicer.

The Waring Pro Food slicer caught my eye, with decent pricing (under a hundred bucks) but when I looked at the reviews (Amazon and others) it became clear that this was a cheap knockoff of the professional products. Professional products run upwards of 600 bucks! Ouch.

Anyone have any experience in this department?

Pete

2. Sparkey

Sparkey Well-Known Member

3. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

We got a used old commercial slicer at an auction. It weighs over 100 pounds, but it sure does slice the bacon. The blade just laughs at a file, so I have to stone it to keep it sharp. We sliced two sides in about 10 minutes the other night.

4. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I had to finally had to get rid of my old commercial slicer. It had an oddball electric motor in it. I had an electrical shop go through it once but the last time the guy said it was un-rebuildable. It had an attachment that hooked to the top with two stones in it which would sharpen it really quickly and better than I could by hand. Heavy devil. Probably weighed a good 75 or 85 pounds. The blade was probably 12-14 inches in diameter. You could also set the meat table so that it would slice unattended. Nifty little machine. It sliced meat see-through thin to quite thick. Also was great for slicing tomatoes onions peppers lettuce cabbage and the like. You could turn out a lot of food in a hurry. I think I paid like 200 bucks at a restaurant auction. All cast aluminum and stainless steel.

5. I bought a slicer from Cabela's outdoor catalog. It doesn't have a name brand on it and it cost somewhere around $225. if I remember right. I bought it about 4 years ago to slice jerky meat out of venison when I had my deer processing business. So I did quit a few orders the first year with it and then last year my wife put in a little Bakery&Deli business for a few months and we used it to slice cold cut meats. We cut a ton of cold cuts and cheeses with it for those few months we was open. So far I would say it has been a purty good little slicer. It's not as big as a commercial Hobart slicer but it's not as little as something from Wally World either.