Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just listening to the news about contiamated food from other countries. I would like to know how to get the FDA to start requireing the labels to list the countries that the food was made/grown in. You can't tell by reading the labels. It may tell were it was distributed but not where it was packaged or grown.

Heck the FDA regulates everything why not require having the name of the country where it came from.

The public needs to have the choice of buying or not buying food from other countries.

I would bet they don't want the public to know, because then the powers that be won't get their cut-backs.

·
Registered
485 Posts
This bugs me too.
Be careful of the apple juice!!! I noticed a lot of store brands were from China. As many apples that grow here. :shrug:
It's getting to where if you aren't sure where it came from, don't eat it.
What about tea? Dosen't tea come from China? Is it more regulated than other food products?

·
Premium Member
4,283 Posts
There is a lot of opposition to country of origin labelling, but you know the opposition doesn't come from consumers! The 2002 Farm Bill required the country of origin labelling for most meat, fruits, vegetables and peanuts, but implementation has been delayed twice by new laws and is currently delayed until 30 September 2008.

The USDA has re-opened the comment period so we have until 20th August to let them know how we feel. The proposed rule (ie everything you need to know about the law) is online here

Comments can be made here
Click on "All Documents Open for Public Comment" and it is number 10 on the list: AMS-LS-07-0081 AMS-LS-07-0081-0001 Mandatory Country of Origin Labeling of Beef, Lamb, Pork, Perishable Agricultural Commodities, and Peanuts. In the far right column is a bubble you can click to add your comments.

·
Registered
766 Posts
This is one area that Natural Foods/Organics Industry is (again) a step ahead of conventional foods.

Our local Food Co-op has the country or state of origin listed for every item of produce it sells. This way, you know if your oranges are coming from either Florida or California. More importantly, whether the produce comes from a country with questionable food handling practices. This isn't a new practice at our Co-op. They have been doing this for years.

I purchase most of my food items in bulk, and the 100 or food items dispensed through the bulk bins at our Co-op have country of origin, clearly stated. The organic soybeans sold here come from china and so I choose not buy them.

What strikes me is the fact that no-one has mandated that our Co-op ( or their distributors) provide this information. It is provided freely because they feel as if it the consumers right to know. I really like this.

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
mistletoad: thank you for doing all the leg-work for us!

Comment sent regarding this bill, thanks to you.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mistletoad, I thank you too. I will send them my comment, also will send the link to my friends.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
77,682 Posts
One of the "reasons" being used to promote NAIS was to help with Country of Origin labeling. The sad thing is MOST people only look at the prices

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
I seem to recall reading that such a mandate/law or whatever has already been issued. However it has been put on hold at least temporarily due to those that lobbied so strongly against it.

Can someone in the know confirm?

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Watching the Japanese news yesterday morning I saw an item about goods, particularly food products, (including ingredients), being checked for their country of origin. If the product or any of it's ingredients were not sourced from China, they were being labelled 'CHINA FREE', before being placed on supermarket shelves. This was reported to be happening somewhere in the U.S.
Does anybody know anything about this (fantastic) campaign?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts