Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Cedar Cove Farm
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to be butchering rabbits today and put some meat in the freezer. Who here likes rabbit meat? We love it in our house.

·
Registered
408 Posts
We depopulated our rabbits yesterday, love the taste. Constantly having friends asking for rabbits to eat. I just made a schedule up today to keep us with 2 litters of rabbits per month, each doe mating twice a year; we need 8 does for that.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
I breed my does every 2 months. I wean the babies at 4 weeks & then let the doe rest for a month before breeding her again. I sometimes stop over the winter as the babies get too cold at times & I don't want to butcher in the middle of the winter.

·
Cedar Cove Farm
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I breed my does every 2 months. I wean the babies at 4 weeks & then let the doe rest for a month before breeding her again. I sometimes stop over the winter as the babies get too cold at times & I don't want to butcher in the middle of the winter.
Yeah, we don't like frozen pinkys here. We usually stop breeding for the winter.

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Had rabbit for supper tonight. Also garden mix of carrots, broccoli, onions and tomatoes fried in olive oil, goat dill cheese with goat milk to drink. EVERYTHING I ate was produced on our homestead except the olive oil ( and that wonderful Greek olive oil is from a friend in NYC who we barter with for our sheep sausage)!!!!

·
Cedar Cove Farm
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had rabbit for supper tonight. Also garden mix of carrots, broccoli, onions and tomatoes fried in olive oil, goat dill cheese with goat milk to drink. EVERYTHING I ate was produced on our homestead except the olive oil ( and that wonderful Greek olive oil is from a friend in NYC who we barter with for our sheep sausage)!!!!
It's a great feeling, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Well our first one done this week! SUCCESS! DH said "that was good" after 2 days of silence (he finally dug into the crock pot)- the roos we did last month were not a great success...Child said, hey where is the rabbit meat when I made her a quesadilla-

the new zealand doe we cooked (accidental death we put to good use)- was amazing- huge (10 lbs at least we had been saving her for a breeder) but oh so tender and meaty and not loaded with fat either- MEAT.
We love rabbit! Rabbit quesadillas, stewed, braised, its is delicous....

A new discovery!
Now if we can get our breeding off the ground....

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I am so-so on rabbit. I like it in a mustard sauce or a red wine sauce but that is about it. It's not that I don't like it, just that there are other meats I like better.

Mary

·
Registered
980 Posts
I love the taste of rabbit - it has been a while since I've raised or hunted any though. While living in Germany - we could buy fresh rabbit (that was already cut up) at the store. It was sold next to the turkey, chicken, and duck. :)

Here are some recipes for those that might be looking at different ways to eat rabbits.

For some rabbit recipes to enjoy, here are some from http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.a...810669&mpage=1
Big Guy Hasenpfeffer
2 rabbits cut into sections
½ cup flour
1 Tsp. basil
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
½ cup cooking oil
1 clove garlic chopped
½ cup water
2 tbs. wine vinegar
1 tbs. honey
1 tbs. parsley chopped
1 cup sour cream
1 tbs. sugar
Combine basil , salt , pepper and rub into rabbit pieces. Brown rabbit pieces in oil with garlic. In a separate pan combine water , vinegar , sugar ,and honey simmer for 3 minutes but do not boil. Pour over rabbit in skillet. Bake in 325 degree oven for 2 hr. or until tender . Stir in sour cream and bake for another 5-6 minutes , sprinkle with parsley and serve.

Buttermilk Bunny

1 or 2 rabbits, cut into serving pieces
1 quart buttermilk
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 med. Potatoes, cut in chunks
3 carrots, cut in chunks
1 cup chicken stock
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
oil
salt
pepper
cornstarch

place rabbit pieces in a non reactive bowl and cover with buttermilk refrigerate for at least 3 days. Remove rabbit and rinse buttermilk off. Brown rabbit pieces in oil. Place in a large dutch oven. Add chicken broth, vegatables, salt and pepper to taste. Roast at 350 for 1 ½ hrs. or until tender. Thicken pan juices with cornstarch mixed with a little water.

Rabbit Pie
2 cups cooked, rabbit diced
2 Tbs. oil
1 can cream of mushroom soup
½ can cream of broccoli soup
2 Tbs. onion, chopped fine
3 cups potato, diced
½ cup frozen peas
1 large carrot, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 cup milk
½ tsp. garlic powder.
2 10 inch pie crusts
In a 2qt. sauce pan, brown cooked meat in oil. Add the soups, onion, peas, potatoes, carrot, celery, milk, and garlic powder. Simmer together for 25 minutes. Pour filling into an unbaked 10-inch piecrust, add top crust, seal the edges and cut some vent holes. Bake at 400 for 60 minutes.

Creamy Rabbit Casserole
1 ½ cups cooked rabbit meat
2- 3oz. Chicken flavour Ramen noodle soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
½ soup can of milk
Cook noodles as per package directions. Add seasoning packets. Drain most of liquid. Stir in cream of mushroom soup, and milk. Add rabbit and heat thoroughly. Stirring often. Serve

Sweet and Sour Rabbit
1 Rabbit cut into sections
¾ cup vinegar
2 large onions sliced thin
12-18 prunes
1 bottle sweet red wine
oil
2 TBS. cornstarch
Soak rabbit in vinegar and enough water to cover for at least 2 hrs. or overnight. Drain rabbit and pat dry, brown rabbit in oil, add onions and saute until onions are clear. add wine and prunes , bring to a boil and cover , simmer for 1 ½ hrs or until tender Remove rabbit and prunes thicken sauce with cornstarch dissolved in water. Add rabbit to gravy sery over rice or noodles . Prunes can be eaten or discarded.

Fricassee of Rabbit
4 Tbs. margarine
8 0z. Jar pearl onions
2 rabbits cut into serving pieces
3 Tbs. flour
1 cup white wine
1 ½ cups chicken stock
4 slice cooked crumbled bacon
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 Tbs. parsley
1/8 tsp. thyme
1 bay leaf
1 lb. button Mushrooms
Salt and pepper to taste
Melt margarine in a large pan, drain onions and blot with a paper towel. Cook onions in pan until browned. Remove and reserve. Fry rabbit pieces a few at a time until browned. Put all meat back in the pan and sprinkle with 1-Tbs. flour. Brown the flour for a few minutes. Add the wine, 1-cup chicken stock, garlic, parsley, bay leaf bacon, salt and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 350. Blend remaining stock with 2-Tbs. flour stir gently into mixture and place in a heavy casserole. Bake for 1 hour, add reserved onions and button mushrooms then bake for another 15 minutes

Lemon Rabbit
2 rabbits cut into sections
6oz. Can Frozen lemonade concentrate thawed
3 Tbs. Brown sugar
3 Tbs. Ketchup
1 Tbs. Vinegar
2 Tbs. Corn starch
½ cup water
Oil
Brown rabbit in hot oil,
Put into a crock-pot; add the remaining ingredients except the water and cornstarch. Cook on high for 4-6 hrs or until tender. Remove rabbit and set aside. Mix cornstarch and water until smooth. Add to the crock-pot and stir while heating until thick, add rabbit.
Serve over cooked white rice.

Rabbit and Broccoli Casserole
1 rabbit
1 large onion, chopped
4 carrots, diced
½ cup celery, diced
1 package frozen broccoli spears
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
Cover rabbit with water in a large pot; add the onion, carrot, celery and salt. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until meat comes off the bones. Cool and remove meat from bones. Place meat in the bottom of a glass-baking dish, layer with broccoli and add the soup. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Remove top with cheese and place back in oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

Rabbit Cacciatore

2 rabbits, cut into serving pieces
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
½ lb. Mushrooms, sliced
1 jar spaghetti sauce
Brown rabbit pieces in a little oil. Add onions, peppers, and mushrooms, cook until onions are clear. Add the spaghetti sauce. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes or until rabbit is tender. Serve over rice or noodles.

BBQ RABBIT

2-3 Rabbits
1 large onion chopped
1 clove garlic chopped
2 green peppers chopped
1 can tomato juice 14 oz.
1 cup water
1 cup vinegar
½ cup ketchup
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup butter
1 tsp. Salt

Soak rabbit over night in vinegar ,salt , water and Bay leaf. Parboil 10 minutes cool until you can handle meat. De-bone meat ant cut into bite size pieces. Boil all ingredients , then pour over cut up rabbit in a casserole dish . Bake at 300 degrees for 3 hours . Serve over rice or noodles.

Rabbit Delight

1 young rabbit, cut into serving pieces
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 cup chicken broth
¼ cup lemon juice
¾ cup orange juice
2 green peppers, chopped
½ cup chopped mushrooms
1 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
Pinch of ginger
Salt and pepper to taste
Brown rabbit pieces in oil. Add remaining ingredients and cover. Simmer on low heat until tender. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes

Jumping Jack Casserole

1 rabbit, cut into bite sized pieces
2 Tbs. oil
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 cups fresh bread cubes
1 onion, chopped
2 med. Potatoes, shredded
1 carrot, shredded
½ cup frozen peas
1 can cream of chicken soup
¾ cup milk
In large skillet heat oil, add basil, garlic, oregano and bread cubes. Toss to coat well. Bake bread cubes on a cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, they should be brown and crisp. Sauté onion and rabbit in the same skillet until browned. Add bred, veggies, soup and milk mix well. Pour into a buttered casserole dish bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

Mesquite Rabbit
2 Rabbits cut up
1 onion cut into rings
1-cup celery chopped
1 bay leaf
5 TBS. Open Pit Mesquite and tangy BBQ sauce
2 cups water
salt pepper to taste
oil
1 cup flour

Mix salt and pepper with flour dredge rabbit pieces and fry in oil until browned.
Add water and bay leaf to a 4-quart pressure cooker. Put rack in cooker, add rabbit, onions, celery, BBQ sauce. Close cooker and cook 25-30 minutes.

Greek Rabbit
10 potatoes , quartered
2-3 rabbits, cut into serving portions
1 cup olive oil
½ cup lemon juice
1 onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
½ tsp. lemon pepper
1 tsp. oregano
Parboil potatoes in water for 10 minutes, drain set aside. Arrange rabbit pieces in a large baking dish, top with potatoes. Combine all other ingredients in a bowl mix with a whisk, then pour over the rabbit and potatoes. Bake at 350 for 1 hr. or until tender.

Nuggets McRabbit
Boneless rabbit meat, cut into bite sized pieces
½ cup flour
½ cup Bisquick
¼ tsp. onion powder
¼ tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1 egg
2 Tbs. oil
1 cup club soda
Oil for frying
Mix flour, bisquick salt and spices. In a separate bowl beat egg until frothy, add oil and beer. Mix and add to the flour. Mix well. Dredge rabbit in plain flour then dip in the batter. Fry in oil until golden brown on all sides. Serve with BBQ sauce or honey mustard.

Almond Cream Cottontail
2 cottontails cut into serving pieces
Flour for dredging
2 tsp. celery salt
2 tsp. paprika
2tsp. Salt
½ tsp. curry powder
½ tsp. oregano
½ tsp. black pepper
½ cup melted margarine or butter
¾ cup sliced almonds
11/2 cup half and half
½ cup sour cream
3Tbs. Dry bread crumbs with 1 Tbs. Melted butter
Rinse rabbit pieces and coat with flour. Blend celery salt, paprika, salt, curry powder, oregano, and pepper with melted butter. Coat rabbit pieces in butter spice mixture. Arrange in a single layer in a 9x13-baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with almonds. Pour half-and-half between the rabbit pieces.
Cover and bake in a 325 preheated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, basting occasionally. Uncover and remove about ½ cup of the sauce. Gradually stir the removed sauce into the sour cream and blend well. Pour evenly over the rabbit and sprinkle with the buttered crumbs.
Bake uncovered an additional 30 minutes until the breadcrumbs are browned. Serve over rice.

Also here is a link with some more rabbit recipes. :)
http://allrecipes.com/search/default.aspx?qt=i&rt=r&w0=rabbit

·
Registered
980 Posts
WOw thanks for the recipes!

I have to try the Nuggets recipe!(child will love it)...

Its the killing thats gonna be hard, the roos were one thing.....
Hope you like the nugget recipe. Rabbit definitely makes for some good food dishes.
As for me a good Hasenpfeffer always seems to speak to my heart (especially when made with red wine) as does a fricassee.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts