Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me to find food grade DE here locally in NY or online? I found one place that only takes credit cards. I would like to pay cash or check.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you mean about not depending on DE to worm them? I do use Frontline for ticks and fleas several times a year....what do you suggest for the tapeworms?

·
Banned
12,448 Posts
Cheri in NY said:
What do you mean about not depending on DE to worm them? I do use Frontline for ticks and fleas several times a year....what do you suggest for the tapeworms?
In every test done with side by side comparison, DE has failed to kill any type of internal worms. It is a waste of money and time to feed any animal DE.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
What about reduced fly populations in manure of animals fed food grade DE? I've read a few sources that claim this as a benefit of feeding DE.

·
Banned
12,448 Posts
topside1 said:
Poncho do you have any links to back up your statement??? I am interested.
Usually every time DE is brought up it causes an argument. There have been many sites posted before in the equine and poultry forums. There has been many different tests done and DE has never shown it will decrease worms in any animal. Those who use it and claim great results do not do side by side tests or control group tests.
You can do a search on the poultry and equine forums and read all the test results along with who did the tests.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
It was my understanding DE didn't kill the worms, but scored the eggs so they wouldn't hatch inside the animal.

Anyone else heard this?

·
Registered
381 Posts
pancho said:
In every test done with side by side comparison, DE has failed to kill any type of internal worms. It is a waste of money and time to feed any animal DE.
Waste of time? Wrong again Panch, there is a dramatic reduction in flies as well as some mineral content. I'm not sure of the internal worms, but the cost is minimal and it definitely is worthwhile to add to stored grains and pellet feed.

·
Banned
12,448 Posts
Woodroe said:
Waste of time? Wrong again Panch, there is a dramatic reduction in flies as well as some mineral content. I'm not sure of the internal worms, but the cost is minimal and it definitely is worthwhile to add to stored grains and pellet feed.
If you check what minerals are in it you might decide the mineral content was not something you want to feed to your animals.

Those who use and defend DE will come up with all kinds of miracles that DE is capable of doing. The truth is none of it shows up when tested in a control group.

Just wait until the usual defenders come on and claim DE will cure broken legs and aids.

It is your choice what you want to feed your animals, just be sure to do some real research instead of taking the advise of the people on a forum.

·
Retired Coastie
5,185 Posts
Poncho, what type animal do you raise? Have you ever fed DE to those animals? Not trying to argue with you or anyone else, just trying to learn. I have done loads of reading on the subject, I am a DE user. The fly population on my farm is minimal, my goats and steers are top of the line with abundant health. Maybe DE helped, I think so or have I just been mighty lucky.

·
Banned
12,448 Posts
topside1 said:
Poncho, what type animal do you raise? Have you ever fed DE to those animals? Not trying to argue with you or anyone else, just trying to learn. I have done loads of reading on the subject, I am a DE user. The fly population on my farm is minimal, my goats and steers are top of the line with abundant health. Maybe DE helped, I think so or have I just been mighty lucky.
I have raised horses, cattle, hogs, goats, sheep, chickens, doves, quail, pheasants, turkeys, ducks, geese, love birds, parakeets, cockatiels, finches, pigeons, emus, cats, dogs, rats, guines pigs, fish, and probably a few others I forgot about.
With these animals I never had a fly problem. Proper cleaning and space for each animal will eliminate most problems without the use of DE.
DE does not hurt unless you count the danger of breathing it. Also the danger of it getting into any cut or scrape.
What it does do is give the one useing it a false sense of security for their animals. It is easy to feed and many people are looking for the easiest way to protect their animals from worms. Just like anything easy, it is worth what you pay for it.
There have been many different studies done with control groups. Sometimes people do not know what a control group is. They take two different groups of animals. They feed them the same, give them the same care, but do not add the product they are testing to one group. After a set time they check the two groups to see if there is any difference in the groups.
In every control group testing there wasn't any difference in the number of worms in the group fed DE and the group where DE was withheld. DE did absolutely nothing. The number of worms in those fed the DE was the same as those who were not fed DE.
There are still people who insist DE does miracles. They do not do control group testing. What you will notice none of the large producers or those who produce high quality and priced animals will mess with it. Those who believe it works are those who do not depend on their animals for a living or do not raise high quality or high priced animals.
Those ho do will do the necessary research and will not feed anything useless to their animals.
It is your choice, they are your animals. You are the one who chooses what they eat or do not eat. If it makes you feel better you should feed it, unless you depend on your animals for a living or have some high priced animals.

Oh yes, I almost forgot. I to fell for the hype when I first learned about DE. That was many years ago and when I didn't see any difference in the ones I fed it to and the ones I didn't, I did some research.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.