Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What food items are you giving as Christmas gifts? So far I have canned:

Cranberry Banana Marmalade
Winter Apple Conserve
Black Bean and Corn Salsa
Black Bean Soup

Today I'm making Peanut Butter Balls and Nutty Noodly Clusters. This weekend I'll be making 11 loaves of bread to give to neighbors and next Tuesday I'll be making several batches of cookies. What are you making to give as gifts?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I've made nine pecan rolls for Hubby to give to the teachers he works with. I plan to make some jams and jellies to give along with chocolate chip cookies for the grands. Fudge and Buckeyes too.

Jan

·
Registered
338 Posts
I make a dozen or so loaves of lemon bread, 6 or so loaves of pumpkin bread, sugar cookies, gingersnaps, snickerdoodles, peppermint pinwheels, chocolate chip(for dh), oatmeal cookies and a few other kinds.
I also need to make some carrot cake jam too. Dh gave away all the stuff I made before.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Lemon bread??????? Sounds wonderful, care to share the receipe???

Alice

·
Registered
338 Posts
I sent out the recipe in most of the cards I did in the Christmas card exchange. Unfortunately I forgot to put it in the first 10 or so.

Blessedly I saved what I typed up so I just have to cut and paste here. :)

Lemon Bread

INGREDIENTS:
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup white sugar
5 tablespoons lemon juice
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest ( I usually use more depending on how much I get off the lemons)
Glaze
3-5 (depending on whether you like a quite tart glaze) tablespoons lemon juice
¼ (and maybe a tablespoon or two more) cup white sugar (you can use Xylitol if you are wanting to use less sugar)
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat together butter, 1 cup sugar, juice and eggs. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir into egg mixture alternately with milk. Fold in lemon zest. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine lemon juice and sugar in a small bowl. Remove bread from pan and drizzle with glaze. Cool on a wire rack.

This year I bought some dried lemon peel powder to try. I wanted it just in case I can’t get lemons sometime in the future.

·
This is my life
3,869 Posts
during the spring I am a canning fool. I do blueberry syrup, strawberry syrup and jams of every fruit I can get my hands on. I make Christmas baskets for my mom and the neighbors.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have already made mini pumpkin bread loaves and butter cookies for my parents. I still have to make candied dog bones for ours friends/neighbors dogs and Chinese Chews for DH's work buddies.

·
plains of Colorado
4,176 Posts
Making mini whole wheat bread with my jam & jelly. I got these cute $1 bread pans f/Michaels for the bread. I also made layered bean soup. Some got green tomato pickles, piccalilli, peaches. Two adult nephews got beer bread in a jar w/new bread pan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts