Homesteading Forum banner

Food Drive

2K views 54 replies 24 participants last post by  raybait1 
#1 ·
Our local newspaper is having a food drive to help stock the local food pantries. Of course, we will drop off a box of food. My Mother raised me alone and many times there was little to eat. I realize now she ate little to insure I had enough. At least once a year our mail men have a food drive and we leave food by our mailboxes. They have volunteers follow the mail man and pick them up. I keep wondering, how many of the folks we help could be better helped if they were educated on how to shop and make their food cards go farther. Or helped to make nutritious meals that are not quick fixes. I always said my Mother cooked all but the squalk of the chicken. A friend works at one local food bank and says she sees a lot of the same folks at the end of the month. Guess they have used up their food card allotment. Jklady

#2 ·
You have a good point there.

But, I wonder if some that don't accept help is how the help is offered?

If offering help, is done without the "you should have done this and you'd not be in this fix" type of statements, I think more might get enough nerve to try to help themselves.

Angie

#3 ·
I wonder. A couple of years back, we donated a cow to the local food bank. Local butcher donated the killing, etc. to turn her all into ground beef. Everybody very grateful....

Talked to the head of the food bank a few months later... they ended up throwing most of it out. Nobody wanted the ground beef. Too much work to cook it. Now if I could have arranged some frozen pizzas.....

#4 ·
I have worked with my churches food pantry for many years now. We have the same problem and talk about it all the time to try to find a solution. Our desire is to be good stewards of the money that the church gives us to help the poor.
At the beginning we had problems of them not using the food donated. They just didn't know what to do with it. Today the lady gives out food in bundles for a meal. She puts spaghetti, sauce and a vegetable and fruit together. Things like that.
Also, she cooks something that will be given away so everyone can taste it an see that it is good to eat.
People can get groceries every two weeks, and it is just to assist their food supply not supply the whole thing.
Finally, I am in charge of the kids, I cook them a meal every week, we sit together and eat it, and we talk about how I cooked the food and they help me prepare it and see how it is done. This is the most satisfying thing for me because I know they now know how to make a can of green beans taste good with little effort, and they always eat every bit of it.

This will always be a problem but I don't care, some are getting it and that is why I will always keep trying.

#6 ·
You have a good point there.

But, I wonder if some that don't accept help is how the help is offered?

If offering help, is done without the "you should have done this and you'd not be in this fix" type of statements, I think more might get enough nerve to try to help themselves.

Angie
I don't understand. I hope that you will try to explain.

Please forgive me because I really need to vent.

Having worked with my church (food distribution), and having an intricate knowledge of the social services system in my area, we feed people who are "in the system". They do not work, they know the in's and out's of the system, and they suck the government tit. I wish we helped people who "fall between the cracks" because they are the ones who would benefit most. They are the folks who work and try to help themselves, but they do not qualify for any assistance. It breaks my heart to see people who bust their butt's every day, to try to pay their way, but they do not qualify for any assistance. They work two jobs, they are cold and hungry, in their own homes, but if they don't have a multitude of kids they can't afford, or a convenient diagnosis, they get nothing. Imagine telling someone they do not qualify for help because they earn $50 a month over the cut off, yet they are surrounded by people who get every aid imaginable.

I am sure I will get flack for this, but I am sick and tired of the system. I am tired of working soo much so that I can pay my bills, yet my tax $$ provides care for people who have never worked a day in their lives. My life experience has shown me that there are MANY folks who could work but do not. I resent being a "worker bee".

I could say a lot more but I don't want to hijack this thread.

#7 ·
I have worked with my churches food pantry for many years now. We have the same problem and talk about it all the time to try to find a solution. Our desire is to be good stewards of the money that the church gives us to help the poor.
At the beginning we had problems of them not using the food donated. They just didn't know what to do with it. Today the lady gives out food in bundles for a meal. She puts spaghetti, sauce and a vegetable and fruit together. Things like that.
Also, she cooks something that will be given away so everyone can taste it an see that it is good to eat.
People can get groceries every two weeks, and it is just to assist their food supply not supply the whole thing.
Finally, I am in charge of the kids, I cook them a meal every week, we sit together and eat it, and we talk about how I cooked the food and they help me prepare it and see how it is done. This is the most satisfying thing for me because I know they now know how to make a can of green beans taste good with little effort, and they always eat every bit of it.

This will always be a problem but I don't care, some are getting it and that is why I will always keep trying.

this sounds like a really effective educational group.
Congratulations on teaching them.

Angie

G
#8 ·
I wonder. A couple of years back, we donated a cow to the local food bank. Local butcher donated the killing, etc. to turn her all into ground beef. Everybody very grateful....

Talked to the head of the food bank a few months later... they ended up throwing most of it out. Nobody wanted the ground beef. Too much work to cook it. Now if I could have arranged some frozen pizzas.....
When I have meat to give, I take it to the homeless shelter. They do cook it.

You can also try giving it to Meals On Wheels. They are always deperate, and they cook.
I don't understand. I hope that you will try to explain.

Please forgive me because I really need to vent.

Having worked with my church (food distribution), and having an intricate knowledge of the social services system in my area, we feed people who are "in the system". They do not work, they know the in's and out's of the system, and they suck the government tit. I wish we helped people who "fall between the cracks" because they are the ones who would benefit most. They are the folks who work and try to help themselves, but they do not qualify for any assistance. It breaks my heart to see people who bust their butt's every day, to try to pay their way, but they do not qualify for any assistance. They work two jobs, they are cold and hungry, in their own homes, but if they don't have a multitude of kids they can't afford, or a convenient diagnosis, they get nothing. Imagine telling someone they do not qualify for help because they earn $50 a month over the cut off, yet they are surrounded by people who get every aid imaginable.

I am sure I will get flack for this, but I am sick and tired of the system. I am tired of working soo much so that I can pay my bills, yet my tax $$ provides care for people who have never worked a day in their lives. My life experience has shown me that there are MANY folks who could work but do not. I resent being a "worker bee".

I could say a lot more but I don't want to hijack this thread.
No flack from me. I've been watching what you're seeing for many, many years.

Although when I post about it here at HT, some people flame me.

But I know what I see.

#9 ·
I too need to make a small vent.
Way to many times I have been 'next in line' behind a person using food stamps. More often than not its a young 20-ish female with one or two kiddies.
So its very easy to 'scan' the items being bought.
and what do I see . . ??
absolute junk food...........lots of soda drinks.............
Nothing good for the young kids---or her
Thus far I have said nothing to these **people** . . .but I walk out of the store thinking very negative thoughts . . . .and one of these days I'll likely blurt out something not nice.

#10 ·
Daisy -
Not all that need help are deadbeats.

Normal folks have hard time making the paycheck go as far as necessary. If someone that had not been kicked by people that are suppose to care for them several times, get an offer of help they may be expecting the kick that has followed other offers of help.

I say this from the point of view of someone that's been there....

Usually help is only good to create strings of controlling how the giver thinks the receiver should behave.

Angie

G
#11 ·
Daisy -
Not all that need help are deadbeats.

Normal folks have hard time making the paycheck go as far as necessary. If someone that had not been kicked by people that are suppose to care for them several times, get an offer of help they may be expecting the kick that has followed other offers of help.

I say this from the point of view of someone that's been there....

Usually help is only good to create strings of controlling how the giver thinks the receiver should behave.

Angie
I've been there too (an in fact, I currently qualify for food stamps, though I don't sign up for them).

There are two types of welfare people:

Those who need a temporary hand up because they've gotten in a bind. This kind gets back off of welfare as quickly as they can. They are careful spenders, have pride, are industrious, plan for tomorrow as best they can.

Then there are the second, third, fourth generation welfare families who have learned how to manipulate the system for all they can take. These tend to live for today, the heck with tomorrow. They don't have a frugal bone in their bodies.

#12 ·
I was just reading on another board about how CA is out of money and will start giving out IOU's in lieu of money, food cards, retirement checks, unemployment checks, etc.

People are discussing how long it will be before the riots start. It's scary to think of people who have nothing and no way to provide for their families without charity. Charity will only go so far, there won't be enough to go around for everyone. How I wish there were more community gardens in the cities!

There's a retired man who volunteers his time to care of the local flower garden at the library in a town near me. He saves seeds and replants every spring and always has a beautiful garden. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but next time I go to town I'm going to ask him if he can plant some open pollinated veggies in that garden if I donate the seeds. Either him or the library could give fresh veggies to people who need them.

There's a garden at city hall too. It's plenty big enough to put lots of veggies in. A local nursery cares for it and is always asking for volunteers. They could let the volunteers have the veggies that are grown.

The school has several huge flower gardens. A friend of mine takes care of them. I'll talk to him and if he agrees, then go to the school board, and maybe get a school garden project started. The kids who work in the gardens could take home fresh veggies all school year.

There are so many possibilities out there that I never noticed before. Every little bit helps the gardening movement grow. :)

#13 ·
Either him or the library could give fresh veggies to people who need them.
That is a great idea, BUT, most people want quick, easy, convenience foods. Something you can throw in the oven or microwave with little to no effort. Parents are not teaching thier children how to cook basic meals. Everything comes in a box pre-made. It is really sad. :(

#14 ·
I've been there too (an in fact, I currently qualify for food stamps, though I don't sign up for them).

There are two types of welfare people:

Those who need a temporary hand up because they've gotten in a bind. This kind gets back off of welfare as quickly as they can. They are careful spenders, have pride, are industrious, plan for tomorrow as best they can.

Then there are the second, third, fourth generation welfare families who have learned how to manipulate the system for all they can take. These tend to live for today, the heck with tomorrow. They don't have a frugal bone in their bodies.
I had a big long post typed out and decided to heck with it. You have your mind made up and nothing I say is going to change it.

People who put other people in their narrow minded little boxes eventually will wind up in one themselves. God has a way of doing that to people.

#15 ·
. Parents are not teaching thier children how to cook basic meals. Everything comes in a box pre-made. It is really sad. :(
SOME parents may not be teaching their children to cook. They might not have learned to cook THEMSELVES.

My kids cook twice a week. Each of them is responsible for two dinners a week, as well as cleaning the kitchen top to bottom as well.

We can't afford premade food. Everything we get is ingredients because it is less expensive and MOST of our food is vegetarian because we can't afford meat 7 days a week -- once or twice a week at most.

#17 ·
OK guys, (and gals)
I too am a product of the system in that my single mom worked two jobs to make ends meet and if it hadn't been for food stamps I'd have went hungry at times. I do realize as ladycat mentioned above that there are two different types of welfare recipients. I'd like to think I'm one that learned something from it and I hope to not go back there.
When working with the church and the local food pantry we have I've seen all kinds come through. But rarely, and I mean RARELY do I see someone come through that is actually in need of a meal. IMHO. These folks who are fourth generation welfare show up in a cadillac with bling bling wheels and a booming stereo and take a meal. They've come to expect it! I've even been cussed in the past for not having certain items available for them. (I figured out later on that if I buy namebrand items from the local grocery store that are non perishable sometimes they can be taken and refunded for cash to buy cigarettes.) So, I've started to give them subsidies from a "dented can" store and clothes from garage sales or "irregular" clothes. Since I started doing this, I've not seen too much bling bling showing up for a handout. Instead, they don't show up at all.
As far as the meat thing. I too have donated a beef before only to realize it went to the promotors of the food drive's house. I was a bit hot to know the only cuts of meat that made it to the food kitchen were the cuts that the food kitchen operator didn't use at home.

#18 ·
I don't understand.

I agree, it really burns me up but the problem is a deep rooted one that isn't easy to fix. Kids aren't taught how to cook so they grow up not knowing how to cook or budget or run a household. From what I know of the public schools (I have always home schooled) most of them have cut home economics out completely or just offer a basic course that is an elective, not required. Also, the system allows people to just keep using the system, they are not pressed hard enough to change their situation and please don't get me started on these young girls out having babies with no regard as to how they will care for them other than a free hand out via tax payer dollars.

I do a lot of charity work and I spend time with young ladies in the community attempting to help them learn how to cook, budget, garden, etc... Some get it, some don't. During the holidays I fixed up 4 holiday food boxes for those in need from my own pantry and pocket, you wouldn't believe the end result. Four people showed up and left with nothing, turned their noses up at the food because it was stuff you had to actually cook yourself. I went out and bought stove top dressing and packaged mac and cheese and canned spaghetti and the next few people took the boxes but left the flour and beans and rice with me. They didn't even want the bisquick I ended up buying, one girl told me it was too much trouble to roll the biscuits out.:flame:

It gets frustrating trying to help those who are clueless, so I help the ones who obviously want to do better and learn and I just shake my head and bypass the others.

#19 ·
We give food to the local soup kitchen and the food bank. If you spend too much time worrying if it will go to the right people it takes away from the spirit of giving.Sure it goes to some that don't need it but it also goes to some who do. If you want to pick and choose do your own research and find those you think are in need.Yes I agree our govt.system of choosing is flawed but I am not going to stop trying to help those that need it and I don't have time to go out myself and find them so I just trust that a few that step foward for help really need it.

#20 ·
2 years ago I planted 2 extra rows of veg, 1 of squash and 1 of cucumbers just for the food bank.

I should have asked first, I found out that our bank does not take fresh veg as they go bad before they have enough people willing to take them.

I am going to look into taking to the homeless shelter next time.

G
#21 ·
It gets frustrating trying to help those who are clueless, so I help the ones who obviously want to do better and learn and I just shake my head and bypass the others.
That's exactly what do.

When I have lived in welfare neighborhoods, I've never failed to be amazed at people who complain they're out of food and go make the church pantry rounds, because all they have left is the stacks of rice and flour and dry beans left over from previous church pantry rounds.

I always used every speck of that stuff and didn't let it go to waste.

(I have to clarify, though, that SOME people actually cooked the staples. But MOST didn't).

#22 ·
This is why I don't give to charitable organizations. My limited charitable resources are normally consumed by family members who fall short for various reasons or in the neighborhood or church communities.

I feel that I'm doing better if I give a basket of veggies to someone and can say, "Make sure you boil these as a stew and DRINK THE BROTH. That's where most of the nutrients are and it'll go further."

I've only rarely come into contact with true "welfare people" and I don't really presume to know how they live or think.

#23 ·
Spinner- I and two other volunteers started a vegetable garden at the local elementary school. It's been very rewarding. We donate the plants and seeds ourselves. We have the kids grow starter plants in the classroom from seed and talk about seed saving. Then they come out and get to plant them in the garden. We talk about how plants grow, what they need to survive, and diff veg for diff times of year. The kids collect worms and "good bugs" at home and put them in their garden. We bring them out to look at the plants at diff stages and talk about it. They get to taste the harvested veg's and we have a salad party in spring, and a potato/root/brassica crop party in fall/winter. The kids are fascinated seeing how they grow and some have never tasted fresh veg before. We talk about container gardening and allow them to take seeds/plants home if they wish. The garden is small and what is grown is shared with all the classes that teacher's wish to participate. If things get worse it would be nice if the school would let us expand to allow extra we could give away to those in need. Or maybe even have a farm stand at very discounted prices that could be a fundraiser for school. I started a juice pouch recycle fundraiser with the school. Terracycle gives us .02 for every juice pouch we send them. This money goes to upgrades for our wetlands habitat we made last year. Small things make a difference. Some of the kids my garden time may mean nothing to. Others it may change their lives. When I give to the food bank I give knowing that it will go to some who will never try to get out of the handout cycle. (Which I have to admit is also a pet peeve of mine.) I also want their to be something on the shelves for those who are different.

#24 ·
You haven't said anything yet.
Want to explain?

Angie

Sure. I will explain. I get really ----ed off when holier than thou people look at someone and presume to know what is going on in their lives. Someone said there are "Two kinds" of "Welfare people".

Well dagnabbit, I am neither of those "Kinds" of people and I know I am using the system wisely, "drinking from the nearly milkless teat of the US and State Government"

If you have never had to stand in line for food, if you have never had to spend a few nights in a shelter, or been homeless, if you have never tried to balance taking your medications daily, and trying to stay sane for the sake of the kids, if you have never looked into the cupboards and realized that for the fourth night in a row your kids were going to have beans and rice, with a little onion for flavoring. If you have ever HAD beans and rice day after day after day....

Get off your freakin high horse and stop judging others by what you SEE. Because what you see isn't all that is 'true and right'.

I get highly peeved, and downright ----ed off when people talk about others (period) and then when they start putting them in their narrow minded little boxes and saying "They know" You don't know a donkey from a mule and that is the truth.

You sit there saying "Why once I saw someone pull up in a caddilac and they didn't want beans and rice" Really? @@ And this one person represents everyone who is on welfare?

Well I will tell you the dad gum truth. I DON'T WANT BEANS AND RICE! Don't want PASTA either. I have about 80 pounds of rice, I have about 200 lbs of beans. I have over 100 pounds of pasta. See...I STORE FOOD. However, I don't want my kids living on beans, rice and pasta. I would love for them to have MEAT occasionally, FRESH VEGETABLES...not expired canned crap.

I know more people on welfare and need help that problably all of you combined. Actually KNOW the people. As in, know them, been to their house, know their budget, walked in their freakin shoes...know them.

I am disabled. Fully, completely, totally, approved the first time by social security -- in less than a MONTH. Doesn't stop my brain from working. I am not stupid. I do the best I can with the RESOURCES THAT ARE AVAILABLE TO ME. If I don't USE those resources, my kids will suffer. Is that milking the system? Is that abusing it? Tough if you think it is.

I have a nice car. If you looked at it you would think that it is brand new. It was the VERY BEST car I could buy at the time, when my car was trashed by some local trash(and totaled) in my neighborhood. The very best I could afford to buy. It is a 2005. You think I don't deserve to have a reliable car? I don't know ANYONE who has a caddi or lincoln, or whatever stereotypical 'rich persons' car you want to jump them for having.

I do know people with NO cars. Who ask to use my car for rides. We don't have public transit here. The bus is almost two miles away and by the time I have walked those two miles, I am where I want to be (grocery store -- whatever direction).

Personally? I need a car. One that won't break down if I sneeze wrong. My last car? Older car. Every time I turned around that car needed something. 1200 for this, 900 for that, nickled and dimed me to death. Every other month was something else that I couldn't afford.

Now? Calfornia is talking about cutting out this and that because of the budget cruch. Well, two of my kids are adopted. Almost 2/3 of my budget now is the AAP (adoption assistance payments). the other little over 1/3 is my SSI. I was doing fine before my mule of an (almost) ex (can't afford to divorce him) stopped paying child support. (It was close each month, but we did it with occasional help from my church and the food bank)

Now? I recieve cash assistance. I was already in public housing. I get ALL my food from the food bank, My bills are killing me and IF they cut out the AAP I will lose my car, and not only won't have money for food, I won't have money for much of anything.

I have sold, bartered and traded my way through the past Five months.

Why don't you come and see how hard I work to afford what we need? And you know what I don't fit into either of your stupid catagories. I am not second, third or four etc. generation welfare, and I am not on welfare temporaraly until I can get a job or whatever.

There,

I have said some of my say. I would say more, but frankly my fingers are hurting and tired, and I have to be somewhere in about 20 minutes.

G
#25 ·
If you have never had to stand in line for food, if you have never had to spend a few nights in a shelter, or been homeless, if you have never tried to balance taking your medications daily, and trying to stay sane for the sake of the kids, if you have never looked into the cupboards and realized that for the fourth night in a row your kids were going to have beans and rice, with a little onion for flavoring. If you have ever HAD beans and rice day after day after day....
If you have never had to stand in line for food,
I have.

if you have never had to spend a few nights in a shelter,
Not stayed in them, but have eaten meals at them.

or been homeless,
I have.

if you have never tried to balance taking your medications daily, and trying to stay sane for the sake of the kids,
I have. (stepkids, though).

if you have never looked into the cupboards and realized that for the fourth night in a row your kids were going to have beans and rice, with a little onion for flavoring.
I have.

If you have ever HAD beans and rice day after day after day
I have. And also had times when I had NOTHING to eat, sometimes for 2 or 3 days at a stretch.

#26 ·
Angela -
I'm glad you explained.
You're in government housing, apt or section 8 single family house with a patio or yard?

But, be aware some of the folks you are blasting about are not so far off some of your conditions.

It's hard when children are involved.

Angie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.