Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know where I can get a dehydrator for a reasonable price? used would be okay. Ive found one at walmart for 95$ --CRAZY! can someone help?
Im in Indy right now

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
Don't forget your oven. I'm using it on the pears now, as well as the dehydrator, and getting much more done with the oven.

Meg :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I found one new in the box for 2.50 cents at the thrift store today--worth a try-- nancy

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I dehydrate in my car. Food/herbs on wire mesh trays or baskets on the rear window shelf, crack the window about "1 to let the moisture out and park it in the sun. Check every 6 hours and turn when needed. If I slice them thin and get full sun, I can do peaches in 1 day. Can't think of anything cheaper than that!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Build a dehydrator. I made one for about $20.00 materials, with 8 24 x 24" racks. It will dry a batch in about 8 hrs.

All you need is a box with a few (three in my case) heat lamps at the bottom with a small fan to push the heat up through the racks. Move the top racks to the bottom and the bottom ones to the top half way through the cycle.

Build your racks out of a frame of wood covered with fiberglass window screen.

Build the box out of whatever wood you have around.

Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts