Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we did our first food auction tonight ..... And the wife won the big prize.... alot of great meat BUT..... She won 12 cases of "Nutless" Peanut butter .... they call it soy butter any one every have it ? Along with that came 17 cases of Focaccia Sticks, don't know about them either.

She spent a 138 $ Besides the raffle win ....And got a crap load of food.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Happy eatings. I've never tried soy nut butter, but love cashew butter, especially mixed with macadamia. Mmmm.

Who puts on food auctions? I don't think they happen in this area. I'm intrigued.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Congrats.

We don't eat soy here unless it's organic and fermented and then still in very small amounts. That stuff is toxic.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I recently bought a jar of soy nut butter just to try it since it was on sale and cheaper than peanut butter. I am not a picky person at all but I just didn't like it. I didn't care for the texture, didn't like the taste and it gave me terrible indigestion!

I ended up making wild bird treats with it, they ate it up!

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Be cautious eating soy anything in largish amounts - soy is a precurser catalyst for the estrogen hormone and can really mess up anyone's system balance and it has a tendancy to make the intestines produce LOTS of gas possibly because of it's high protein content.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Never heard of a food auction...

If the grand prize was soy products, I wouldn't go back again... Now, if it were meant to be fed to critters, maybe, but I find the stuff barely tolerable for human consumption. (And, as an environmentalist, I have major problems with raising soybeans... rainforests and temperate forests are clearcut to raise soy)

Course, if someone likes the stuff... they can have my share...:icecream:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never heard of a food auction...

If the grand prize was soy products, I wouldn't go back again... Now, if it were meant to be fed to critters, maybe, but I find the stuff barely tolerable for human consumption. (And, as an environmentalist, I have major problems with raising soybeans... rainforests and temperate forests are clearcut to raise soy)

Course, if someone likes the stuff... they can have my share...:icecream:

The Grand Prize was a big roll of Genoa Salami, big roll of Garlic Bologna, 1 Gallon of Italian Wedding soup, 1 gallon wet taco mix, 2 lb's of all beef hotdogs, 5 lbs of Garlic Chicken breasts, 2 Frozen salmon dinners.

The 12 Cases of Soy butter, they made her take home.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well, maybe you can give the soy butter to a food pantry or school, and get a tax write-off.

My DD is mildly allergic to peanuts, so we have tried the soynut butter. It's okay; the brand we used had a strong roast flavor to it. I prefer the almond butter and the sunflower butter.

I've found that soy butter is usually much more expensive that peanut butter, so if you could get some of that into the hands of a family that uses it, it could be a great blessing.

But of course, try it and see if you like it! Brands vary. Congrats on the win (and the booby prize).

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am allergic to tree nuts and peanuts. So I have tried soybutter(Back when I ate soy). I did not care for it. I now eat sunflower seed butter and love it.

I am happy for you on the other great deals you bought though. Sorry about the soybutter.

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
I love soy nut butter on rice cakes - a great "spur of the moment" snack.

·
Wasza polska matka
6,912 Posts
you could make pinecone birdfeeders from it. We also have a small local zoo in town that takes food donations, like veggies and fruits, even deer and freezerburnt meat for the big cats. I have given them outdated peanut butter for the critters and they were happy to get it. Post on freecycle, someone might really be able to use it

·
Premium Member
4,283 Posts
A friend took me to a food auction this spring. It was held at the regular auction house and it was great fun. Before the auction you get to see all of the boxed and canned goods - lots of soda and other drinks - but you don't get to see the frozen food until you are bidding on it. Some people seem to bid on anything and so some prices were just nuts, but there were some great bargains. Most of the stuff was restaurant sized (I really wanted to by the tiny ketchup bottles because they were so cute, but my practical side won that battle). Some was brand name, but most wasn't. I brought home a couple of cases of Perrier in the individual sized bottles (never see that in the stores here and I love it), a 10lb log of frozen ground beef (93%) for less than $5. The lady next to me got some fantastic deals on seafood - salmon, shrimp, lobster. The Amish families made me laugh - they bought all the tv dinners!
Because the building isn't air conditioned they stop the auctions in the summer. I really should check out when the next one is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts