food allergies - how long till symptoms subside?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by DQ, Nov 23, 2009.

1. DQ

DQ Well-Known Member

I have practically zero experience with food allergies. I suspect i have developed one.

how long does it take for the allergic reaction to completely subside after you stop ingesting the offending food? or is that too variable to really have and answer?

if it makes any difference, I think it is either pecans or hazelnuts that I purchased several days ago. idiot me just made the connection yesterday afternoon......I have been itchy rashy and have a transient phlegmy wheezy cough...sort of "cough attacks" not constant......poor in utero baby is getting a few doses of benadryl......:(

2. sss3

sss3 Well-Known Member

Depends on the person. I've had it take as long as 6 wks.

3. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

It depends on the person, their sensitivity, the amount ingested, and can vary by person on every separate exposure episode.

Hazelnuts --- or any nuts for that matter -- can be a violent, immediate reaction lasting several days, and the next time you can have NO outward reaction, and the time after that you can be dead in less time than it takes to call 911.

Seriously, if you've had a reaction, I strongly suggest you get yourself properly tested to find out exactly what you are allergic to, and consider carrying an epipen. Anaphylaxis is not a pretty way to go.

4. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Ditto this. My daughter has allergies to peanuts and tree nuts and hazlenuts are the worst for her.

5. DQ

DQ Well-Known Member

I guess I will being seeing an allergy doc. I am very leary of trying the nuts again even once to test for myself if that is really what caused the symptoms. I certainly won't try them unless dh is home that is for sure......at the same time....I hate to make a mountain out of a mole hill though.

haven't had anymore nuts since around 3pm sunday. I started getting the itchy rash again around 9am today and took some more benadryl. the cough I can handle although its annoying. the incessant itching is torture.

I guess I will run some of this by my OB at my prenatal appointment tommorrow to see what he thinks.

6. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Your pregnancy may be playing a role here. Some women have issues with their immunities during pregnancy -- there is a term for this, I just can't remember it right now -- I'd certainly ask my OB about it, if I were in your shoes.

And stay away from the nuts! The next "reaction" might be much more violent, and too fast for you to do anything about!