Followed vet's advice, but.......

Discussion in 'Goats' started by stacygoats, Oct 28, 2006.

1. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

I've got a 5 month old (55#) doe that has had bouts of soft stool and just isn't thriving. She was dewormed with Safeguard twice (10 days apart) and given Probiotics, but no improvement. She eats fine, no temp, but just didn't seem right,
    Tuesday I took a fecal into my horse vet (goat vet is on a cruise in Alaska) and he said she has cocci and stomach worms.
    - He gave me albon with instruction to dose 4 days (15ml), which is significantly less then the directions on the med. I questioned him and he assured me the 15ml was adequate, because she didn't have a bad case of cocci.
    - He told me to deworm w/Ivermection. I gave here a 150# horse dose (paste). He gave me a puzzled look when I told him I double/triple dewormer dose.
    There is absolutely no improvement after 4 days and diareha is worse, in fact had to give her Kanilin(sp?) yesterday.
    I'm ready to go by my own gut and give her bigger dose of Albon and use Cydectin, what do you think?

2. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

How big is the goat? The cocci med should have kicked in by now so my guess is it was either not a strong enough dose or she needs another course. I've had to treat a couple times on a few kids. You really have to give them a strong dose, so if the 15 ml was less than the labeled directions I'd increase for sure. I've also treated cocci for up to seven days. Cydectin will definitely do the job on worms. In this case I'd follow up with B complex too.

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Feed medicated grain and treat her with di-methox for cocci. Probios daily , vit b injection and red cell. Also ivermectin may not be working for you , change wormers.

Patty

4. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

I've been giving her Probios daily and a couple doses of Red Cell over the past 4 days. This morning I gave her a larger dose of Albon. She seems to be feeling better today and her stools are solid clumps. TSC was out of Vit B earlier this week, I'll call and see if it's came in yet.
    Do you have to get di-methox from the vet?
    I've been unable to find medicated feed for cocci prevention, my has Ammonium Chloride for Urinary Calculi, but that's it. I'm hoping she is on the road to recovery and the others don't get it too.
    Thanks!

5. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I wasn't able to get the liquid di-Methox so I had to use a 107 g. packet of powder. The dosage is on the Fiascofarm website. It worked for my little buckling.

I bought it at a farm store with no prescription.

Good luck!

6. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

Albon MUST be given for 5 days

1cc/ml per 5lbs of weight for the first day
    1cc/ml per 10lbs of weight for the following 4 days.

It may take a bit for her to get berries again and start looking thrifty. My goat Mia took over 2 weeks after I treated her for worms and cocci. After all those meds her rumen will be all messed up and make digestion of her foods difficult.

AFTER the cocci treatment give her a double dose of probios and keep her on a steady diet. IF there is no change then you maybe dealing with something else. I was with Jasper.....a bowel infection. I almost lost him.

7. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

The 12.5% Sulmet labeled for poultry works very well for me. And most feed stores carry it too. I get mine at Jeffers.

8. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

Foys piegon Supply is where I buy albon in quart size. Its around $16.00 I cant use up a gallon so I found it and this is where I buy it for my goats.

9. PygmyLover

That is what I have too. I was told Sulmet is just like Albon and to treat the with Albon the same as you Sulmet.

10. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I prefer the liquid sulfa such as Albon. I've tried the Sulmet powder and it just doesn't seem to work for the goats. It crystalizes when I mix it with small amounts of water, and if I mix it with milk in a bottle, the goats won't drink it. It works best for me to give the liquid orally by syringe. I do the 5 day dose, same as Pygmy Lover recommends, and that has worked for my goats. I would also get the kid on goat developer pellets which contain a coccidiostat for continues protection. Give a second dose of Ivermectin 10-14 days after the last dose. I use the injectable Ivermec orally - 3cc per 100 lb.

11. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I've use Albon and to me it was ok but the Di-Methox 40% worked better for me. I use Ivomec Cattle Injection 1% De-wormer for my younger goats and it has always worked for me but of course certain places or states has to have different types of wormer used because one wormer may not work for that state. Like it would here. Sometimes a certain wormer will not destory or a kill a certain type of worm so you have to try something else.

Valbazen is a really good wormer for stomach worms. I have never used it on a 5 month old goat,mine are between 4 months to 2 years old. The older ones get Ivomec or Valbazen and the younger ones get Ivomec. Unless younger then they get safeguard.

Do not over do on meds or can lead up to other problems. Then have to start treating for them. Why did I state that is because I know of other people over doing on meds and it cause other troubles. If the meds for the Cocci isn't showing signs of working you may have some other type of problem instead of Cocci. Worms can cause the runs that I call it instead of the other word. So I hope your goat gets well soon but to me it sounds more like a worm problem than Cocci. Make sure to give Probios to repopulate gut with live bacteria and also some Vitamin B Complex to keep the goat from getting
    thiamine deficiency because to much meds can cause that.

Good Luck on your goat. :)

12. PygmyLover

the Sulmet I used was not cristals but a liquid. It was labled for basically everything BUT goats. I was given the dosage by a few friends who use it and it worked well for me.

Just wanted to clarrify that.