Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having a hard time finding hay? The only thing i can find is broam(SP?) or prarie grass and they are wanting 12 dollars a square bale.

·
Registered
695 Posts
barelahh said:
Is anyone else having a hard time finding hay? The only thing i can find is broam(SP?) or prarie grass and they are wanting 12 dollars a square bale.
Check the Iwanna.com trade paper or in hard copy at convenience and grocery stores, hay is listed in the Asheville and TN IWANNA in the general section under "from the farm"

Online ad listed- First cutting hay. June 2007. Timothy, orchard grass, fescue mixture. 250 square bales. 40-50 lbs, kept dry in barn. 250+/- bales. $4/bale. Bakersville.
You'll have to buy the paper or subscribe online for contact info

Another ad, Square Bales of hay. $3.50 in field or $4 from barn in Roan Mountain, TN
Several more listed, best of luck!

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
i advise gettting your years supply now, if you can. it's only going to get more scarce this year. i lucked out and got mine for 2/ bale in the field, but it was first cutting. probably the only cutting this year, the way it's going.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Yep, thats high, but if thats what you have to pay, Brome is *good* goat hay. Its what I feed all mine and they love it and do very well on it. Of course just like any other hay, the quality depends on how and when it was put up.

·
Don't Tase me, bro!?!
1,358 Posts
We can get the large rolls in the dodge county area from local growers but square bales have all been purchased by people in other areas and shipped off. We don't have enough goats for a large roll which is 200% higher than it was just last year anyway.

They're going for between $55 and $65 at the moment

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Were buying brome too. Our local suppliers are out. But I like brome its great hay better quality than whats available normally. There does seem to be an early shortage here. It doesn't look good for local livestock.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
County Extension newletter said farmers here are having to travel 400 miles to get hay now at anything approaching a reasonable price (cited $35-40 a round bale as reasonable). Said trucking doubles that cost by the time it gets here. The local extension folks are trying to get an arrangement to have it brought in by railroad flatcar.

It looks now like I might get a small fall cutting, we have had some rains. If it'd rain a few more times in August, we might squeak out some. It all depends on whether my cutter will be willing to cut it for fewer bales on the halves. I kind of would like to have a few to sell, they are going for $80-100 here. Cattlemen have been feeding since May. I'm glad to see cotton pick up growth, so maybe seed won't spike as high as it would have otherwise.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
We're not getting all the rain you are, Chris. I see it popping up on our radar, to the northeast. But it doesn't pop up til aftert it misses us.

Weedy hay is the Very Best Kind for goats. Cows won't mind.

Hay rigs are still out around here, now cutting and rolling the brown dry stuff that was left standing uncut from spring. Any roll of hay is bringing good money, even trash. So they'll cut til there's no more to cut, I reckon.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
barelahh said:

I had mine trucked in from Mississippi at 6.00 per bale for the first load, the next load will be higher. Hayman gets 600 bales on a truck so a group of us split a truckload.

Can't find any hay around here suitable for feeding anything..
wouldn't goat farmers want to feed dairy goats good quality hay? I fed my pygmies coastal hay with a touch of alfalfa during the real cold days.

I'm south of Atlanta and drove 100 miles one way to meet the hay truck..I'm set for the year now but I understand my hayman will be bringing in more hay soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts