Foley 361 saw filer

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ross, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Well I'm picking up an old Foley 361 saw filer. I need carrier bars and an operators manual for it, if anyone has them. Gets the ball rolling on setting up a sharpening sideline here, I already sharpen clipper blades but want to explore the idea further. I know where I can get better machines for not alot of money but more than I have to spare at the moment. Perhaps after I sell my 35. Anyone here run a sharpening biz?

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Not many people have their handsaws or circular saws sharpened any more.

It is just as cheap to buy new ones as to pay for the service.

3. Ross

A new 10 inch circular saw blade costs about $20 here sharpening is about $5. A contractor friend of mine just bought a new 14 inch carbide blade for $75 because he couldn't get it sharpened at all. Sharpening would have been $12. No one would sharpen a 7 1/4 blade as they are 4 or 5 bucks. The fellow I bought my clipper blade sharpener from can't keep up with handsaw sharpening he does which I'll admit is crazy. Bandsaw blades are another option meat saws and saw mills are both very lucerative here. Yeah most of the mill owners I know have a sharpener but no time to do one or two. They keep about 20 blades and then make a day of sharpening when they run out. A day they all say they'd happily give to some one for a reasonable fee. Might not work in a small towm but I live next to (in the limits actually) of a city of a million people and an area with another half million surrounding that. Might work might not, I've never lost much trying anything and won't risk much that hasn't paid for its self along the way.

4. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Cultural hub of the universe population 600, Idaho county Idaho population about 20,000 give or take......

I missed it when few years ago a neighbor bought a foley sytem for $6000.00, offered it to me for payments and offered to teach me the whole saw filing business, he worked at a local mill as a head filer, anyhow the firsat year of his "retirement" he made enough to build a second shop building to handle the overflow of saws he was getting, the second year he showed me his books, over $80K ..... yes he did do filing for a 3 bigger mills, but the bulk of his money came from contractor saws and such, planer blades, replacing carbide bits on chop saws and so on..... still kickmyself once in awhile after passing up that one, cuase he was gonna sell me the whole business as well as the shop building and house zero down, and monthly payments.... I just did not think a person could really make it in a small town.

As for getting other machines for cheep, what you looking to pick up?

William

5. Ross

I may have source for a reel mower grinder, newer filers, power saw sets and a carbide grinder . I just missed a Darex drill bit sharpener (but that old throw away attitude is real). I'm looking for a diamond wheel for sharpening ceramics clipper blades and a better scissor sharpener than I have.