Flywheel Ring Gear Question

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Clifford, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Clifford

Clifford Love it, or leave it...

How does one replace the ring gear on a 1954 Allis Chalmers WD?

There is about 1/4" of gear ground off (all the way around) and the starter won't engage anymore.

Can I remove the engine (with a hoist) after seperating the block from the transmission housing to get to the flywheel? or is there another way?

Help...

2. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

yeah probably pull the engine, heat the ring with a torch, and tap it off with a large drift and 3 or 4 lb hammer. many times you can re heat the ring and place it back on backwards to give the starter bendix renewed teeth.

3. Yeti

Yeti Well-Known Member

On tractors I always split them going out the back. I always leave the engine end alone. On a WD the way the frame is It might be better to split out the front by pulling the engine. as for the ring gear it comes off with heat & a hammer as said. its not hard to find a new one so I would do that rather then do all the work just to flip the old gear over. I would save that as a last resort. once you get the new ring gear you heat it up with a torch and tap it back onto the flywheel the whole while keeping it even so you don't break it. once on all the way let cool and reinstall on the machine.

4. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

you'll have to split the tractor and get the flywheel off then heat the gear and knock it off . cool the fly wheel and heat the new ring and pop it inplace while hot.
    to evenly heat the new ring gear get a good bed of charcoal burning takes longer than a torch but heats more evenly

5. ace admirer

just remembered, think i have heard of someone taking one side frame rail off to help in removing the engine..(narrow front)...i have a wc that i'm working on for the kids to use in a tractor pull. wasn't much sheetmetal to take off, so i just pulled the metal and radiator and pulled the engine.

6. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

Also make sure that the starer bendix is in good shape. No use in doing the job twise.

7. Clifford

I guess I'll be pulling the engine in a day or two. May as well do some other needed repairs while I've got it out. Needs main seals and a new manifold as well.

I'm going to have take off the loader first, then the sheet metal housing and radiator. I just have to figure out what to attach the hoist to for raising it out of the tractor.

Do you think the valve cover bolts would support a 2" angle iron with a ring for lifting the engine out?

8. Yeti

Yeti Well-Known Member

I can't remember how thick the Valve cover bolts are to say one way or the other. I prefer to use 3/8" bolts to lift engines by. they shear at about 4000lbs and make it much safer if the engine should shift on the chain hoist.
    one more thing I always have piles of timbers around to shore up under the machines I split. better safe then sorry.

9. ace admirer

most people use head bolts to lift. but seems i used a diagnal bolting method using a bolt around the front of the engine and one on the opposite side at the rear of the engine leaving the valve cover in place.

10. fixer1958

fixer1958 None of the Above

I split a few WD's, and I just made a stand with wheels on it and bolted it to the rails. Supported the rearend, took all the other BS off and slide the front forward.
    For the rear seal, It's a rope seal and will be harder than the hinges of hell. You will have to loosen or remove the crank. If it's not to bad I would leave it alone.

11. Clifford

Valve cover bolts are 3/8" and there are 4 of them. Have made a bracket out of 2" angle iron with a ring for lifting. These bolts will work fine.

I have everything removed and will hoist the engine out later today and mount it onto my engine stand. Fun stuff.

12. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I would replace the throughout bearing for the clutch while in there and I would look at the clutch lining to determine need.

13. Clifford

Got the engine out of the tractor today. It was surprisingly easy to remove!! Hope it goes back in the same way. Need to replace ring gear, clutch and throw-out bearing, plus some minor engine repairs. This tractor just went up in value from what I paid for it! It just needs a good pressure washing and some paint and It'll look like new.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll post more as the project progresses.

Oh, I ordered tractor parts from: www.ytmag.com YESTERDAY and they arrived TODAY. This company is in Washington state and I am in Wisconsin. Amazing. They were less expensive than the local implement dealer even with shipping.

14. Yeti

Yeti Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have things under control. have fun putting it all together. by the way if the throw out bearing has a grease zerk nows the time to make it takes grease ok.

15. Clifford

Just put the engine back in the WD. Just need to get the radiator and hood housing back in place. Should be able to start it by tomorrow, or Friday. Will be glad to finally get into running condition as I'm only able to work on it a few hours a day in between all of my other "household" duties. I'm surprised that it wasn't as difficult as I expected. I've pulled engines before, but this one was relatively easy. :dance:

16. ace admirer

Yeah, the WC, WD and even WD45 are a breeze, try working on a JD letter series,,,,you start by removing the steering column and working your way down.

17. Clifford

So anyway, I finally finished the job. Took 12 days for a thermostat to get into the implement dealer. Started on the first try and she purrs like a kitten. Nice to see a job like that come to fruition. Thanks for the help!

18. Morris

Morris Member

Hey Clifford, hows the WD running?
    I found a bad flywheel ring on my WD45 today.
    After supporting the engine and splitting the frame, can the engine just be separated from the clutch housing and slide forward enough to get to the flywheel bolts?
    Can just one side of the frame be opened up to get the engine out?
    Got an pics of the endevour?
    Morris