Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My goat barn and my poultry coup are both homes to many flies. What is on the market, like a hanging attractant trap that actually works. Thought I would ask the pros before spending my money. We likely have flies all year hear in Arizona.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
We use Golden Malrin, placed WAY the heck up out of any nosy animal's way. Works like a charm.

Just realized you asked for poultry. Our hens go into the goat shed where we place the Malrin. I don't know if they eat the dead flies or not, but we've not seen any sick chickens since we started using it.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If you're interested in biological control, our Muscovy ducks are fly eating machines. We've also used Quick Bait (HIGH UP) to decent result, but we really didn't get over our fly issues until the Muscovies were big enough to free range.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have had excellent results with Quickbayt granules. It kills flies seconds after they touch it, and it is safe for other animals. Works better than anything else I have tried.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My goat barn and my poultry coup are both homes to many flies. What is on the market, like a hanging attractant trap that actually works. Thought I would ask the pros before spending my money. We likely have flies all year hear in Arizona.
I use predators, MaxForce fly bait in Apache stations, and half-gallon fly traps baited with StarBar fly attractant(use gloves when baiting. It stinks to high heaven and will draw flies like crazy!). I have feed lots on 3 sides of me, so no one solution will work here. I know for a fact that the MaxForce fly bait will attract flies and kill them in less than 60 seconds because I've stood out there and watched, but you can only get it from the do-it-yourself insect control places and it's expensive. I hang the bait stations on the rafters in the sheds using a loop of baling twine and an "S" hook off of a tarp strap. The bait is enclosed in the station, so there is no danger of the wind dumping the bait onto the ground where my girls could get into it. The fly traps and bait are also very effective, but they need to be placed away from pens, house, out buildings, etc, because the point is to draw flies away from pens/your house - not to. They also stink to high heaven when it comes time to empty and rebait. I dump them by the gated pipe so the water carries the dead flies away quickly and scrubs out the traps. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Our area is known far and wide as the "horse fly capitol of the world...or at least MO"
They drive us insane! Our poor male LGD is really susceptible to being attacked...much more than the female. In the chicken coop we use deep litter and that litter with some spring subtraction and some fall addition has been in that coop since we built it many years ago. We NEVER have a fly problem of any kind in there! The fly predators LOVE the deep litter and we have never had to replenish them...just flip the litter once a month or so (the hens do a great job of "flipping" it themselves, actually). However, the goat area is a different story...we regularly clean it out completely so as not to get too much build up and that makes it difficult to maintain the predators. The "dump" for the goat barn stuff is a good distance from the barn...at the far end of our property and the predators do work there...mostly undisturbed. For regular flies we actually welcome the arrival each spring of the big Baldfaced Hornets...they float in to the area and literally grab the flies off the walls and in the air. They are quite fierce looking..but we appreciate what they do!
So far we have not had much success with anything in keeping the flies away totally...and we clean the goat paddock EVERY single day...except Sunday...so, it is pretty darn "picked up." I've used sprays and sprinkles and all kinds of recommended stuff,but we still have a fly problem...sorry!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts