Flys around the compost pile

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by moopups, Jun 2, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    We just started a compost pile mostly of pulled weeds, rabbit droppings, waste hay (bedding), and a bug spoiled bag of whole wheat. The flies are buzzing all over the place, large blue nosed flys. Any suggestions of how to get rid of them?

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

rotting meat will draw those big flies to your pile.

3. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

The quickest way to compost is with aeration. Keep turning that pile! When it becomes too wet and weighed down to where air can't get in, it will compost slower. So I would just keep turning it over to aerate it until those bugs can breakdown. Add more soil to where maybe the flies can't access the decaying bugs that often? I wouldn't want to add anything to kill the bugs though. Good luck.

4. csimba

csimba New Member

Keep as much dry brown stuff as is reasonable on top. If the flies can't smell it they will not hang out there.
    I didn't have a problem with my bin until a racoon dug up a dead chicken. Now it comes back every night and disturbs the layer I keep putting on.
    Built a wire top for it today, Darn 'coon is too smart for the factory made trap I bought!

5. Tracy55

Tracy55 Well-Known Member

I have no problem with flies but I have a problem with a woodchuck. He keeps making holes under my compost bins and eating all my compost. I have moved it several times but he still does this. Any ideas?

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Now that the wheat has started to rot there are no flys anymore. This pile is wrapped with 1 by 2 inch wire so there is no scavaging by critters.

7. WV Rebel

WV Rebel Well-Known Member

A handful of "mole pellets" down the hole.

8. WV Rebel

WV Rebel Well-Known Member

As to where the flies came from: the "maggots" in the whole wheat have hatched.