Flying Rabbits and Mini Tornado

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by mihal, Apr 2, 2006.

1. mihal

mihal Peterfi Mihal

We had a freak storm last night bust out two windows, pick up he two rabbit hutches, and throw them 20 feet. The wind picked them straight up and threw them straight down, without rolling them. One was upright, the other fell over after it hit. Cages and bunnies everywhere.

Miraculously, no dead bunnies. We caught all of them but one and have them in temporary shelters; have to rebuild the hutches tomorrow. One bunny, a mini-rex opal doe, is still at large. We have seen her and tried to catch her several times, but no go. She keeps coming back to the other bunnies but won't let us grab her. She's cagey, and will not take the carrots as bait if it means letting us near. Any thoughts?

2. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

I've never been in the "rabbit department" but you had a catchy title! ;)
    My bunnies used to go crazy over stale bread or crackers and the like. Maybe you can build like a round up pen (?) I don't know what you would call it, out of old chicken wire? Or, know anyone with a big fish net?

3. ilikefathorses

ilikefathorses My Horse Really Is Fat

Do ya'll have live traps? Racoon traps and feral cat traps might do the trick. Then again, I'm not one to talk. I had two bunnies get loose quite a while ago. They have taken up permanent residence underneath my shed.

4. glidergurl03

glidergurl03 Well-Known Member

Live traps are life savers.

5. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree a live trap would be your best bet. The poor rabbit is probably scared stiff after all she's been through. I'd place the trap right beside her buddies's cages and bait it with two or three of her favourite treats and a small dish of water.

Good luck... and please give us an update!

6. ozarkcat

ozarkcat Well-Known Member

Well, she's still sticking around her buddies' cages, and we've set up a manual-trip trap (turned a wire kennel on it's side, put her food dish inside, & have the door propped open with a stick & pull cord), so hopefully she'll go check it out shortly. I'm starting to think we could set this up with some of our local wild rabbit population, catch a couple, vet them for worms, diseases, etc. and get some fresh genetics in the works - at the moment, it's just a wild thought, though;)

7. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think North American wild rabbits can breed with domestic ones. Domestics are descended from a European wild rabbit. In any case, many wild rabbits, cottontails included, are far to nervous to thrive in captivity. Or so I understand.

8. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

if you have an puppy exercise pen with a door, just set it up in a circle, put the other rabbits inside (caged). Leave the door open, tie a rope to it and make it so you can pull it shut from a ways away.

If you don't have a puppy exercise pen, make a spiral shaped pen out of some sort of wire. Again, put caged bunnies on the inside to entice her in. The idea is that she panics when she sees you coming and then has to find the opening and run a tight circle, which will hopefully give you enough time to block her off.

They usually go a bit nuts when you do this, so try and have someone come over and grab her quickly if you catch her, maybe throw a towel over her. Otherwise she might hurt her nose on the pen.

Remember not to look directly at her. Pretend she is a brilliant rabbit and you are a pathetically stupid person who can't see her. It gives them more confidence ;)

Good luck!