flying pig!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by jackie c, Aug 28, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Yesterday I had my neice out to the farm. We went to go feed the pigs and as we approached their pen, the smallest pig took a flying leap at her.I mean he almost cleared the pallet fence!! Now this is my first year with pigs and I don't know alot about them as far as this kinda stuff goes, but Ive never heard of pigs being able to jump like that. Is there anything else they can do that I'm not aware of? And should I add another level of height to this fence? I know pigs are strong and able to get loose often, but I never dreamed I might have to chase and escapee that cleared the fence! :waa:

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Wire hog panels are about three feet high and its rare for hogs to go over the top, but not impossible for the persistant ones. Rooting out under the fence is more of a hogs specialty. My wifes Grandmother used to raise a runt pig up to over 200lb in a livestock water tank. It was 8 feet long and 3 feet high. He would put his feet up on the side and look around, but he never got out. Wife said the pigs would get taller than the sides of the tank. They also sell combination wire panels that have small spacings at the botom and are the same height as cattle panels. If a pig goes over the top of one of those he would really know how to fly.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

one of our potbellied pigs walked too close to a lamb, and the ewe charged with her head kind of low and basically threw the pig over the fence