Flying goats (you know, on a plane!) ???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dbarjacres, Apr 16, 2006.

1. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi, I'm looking at getting another mini mancha buckling and would need to fly him in, as I'm not driving to Las Vegas from WI! Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you have flown your goats and if they handle the stress okay and how they seem to take it. Would you do it again or never? I've flown dogs, but they seem to take it just fine, don't know what a goat would think. Thanks! Jenny

2. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Alisande Airplane Ears is ready for take off!

[​IMG]

Here she is in full flight!

[​IMG]

Wait a minute...that's not what you wanted!

Oops, she dropped her magic feather!

3. dbarjacres

Jillis, that's too funny!

4. Blue Oak Ranch

Blue Oak Ranch Well-Known Member

I've had two two-week-old baby doelings flown last year, and a full grown Nigerian buck. They all did just fine through Delta Dash. Not a single problem. I met the plane with bottles of milk for the doelings (borrowed the employee's microwave to heat it) and we were off to home. We loaded the buck straight from the claim area into the back of the truck, drove him up to the ranch, and put him in his pen. Rack full of hay, fresh water, and he was a happy boy.

Part of it was, I'm sure, plenty of good care before they got on the plane. The only thing I would have wished were different was that the buck's owner would have given him a bath (grin).

Cheers!

Katherine

5. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

6. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

When you are on photobucket, go to the bottom line under the photo that starts with "IMG" and copy and paste it into your post. I also highlight it, select size from the menu above, and choose 1 from that menu. Otherwise it does that thing where it spreads out the whole forum screen because it is too big. HTH!

BTW, great picture!

7. doodles

doodles Well-Known Member

I just flew in two babies this year. One with Cont. quick pack and the other Delta dash. Both did very well and cost me under $200. That is much better than buying gas and losing work.

8. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

I flew in Red Eye Express last year from Texas, and he got delayed twice, supposed to come in at 7 pm, and showed at 2:30 am, He did fine and is a big strappin lad now
    http://bryrpatch.com/Express.htm

and just recently flew his doe kid below down to texas she had no trouble at all, It cost around $176 for both flights very cheap really. only thing is the heat index needs to be under 85 degrees its almost getting too late this year for shipping so hurry up if your gonna!

[​IMG]

9. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Attacking the evil new alpine kid, I see!

10. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

OK, he's not a goat, he's a sheep, but this is the new Shetland ram lamb that I had shipped from MI to CA last summer (got lucky on an under 85 day in midsummer) - at about 4 months & around 40 lbs (shown a couple of days after arrival here), Dante (the spotted one) flew just fine!

[​IMG]

11. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

My Goat, she was warning him to stay away from her brand new kid. Of course that evil alpine is the proud papa of her solid black buckling this year.

12. dbarjacres

Thanks for all the info! I've actually changed my mind and think I'll be buying a set of mini mancha twins from Flat Rocks Farm in Texas. They've got TONS of flying experience and I can get them here for only $150 on American! Boy, for that, I'd maybe be able to drive to the Illinois border, haha.

13. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO too!

Ruth

14. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

So funny...but have you ever wondered...would a goat bra make that a bit more comfortable?

Ruth