fly spray question

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Vere My Sone, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Vere My Sone

Vere My Sone Well-Known Member

The flys are starting to come out, the pesky things that they are.

I looked at tsc for some kind of spray to use for dairy cattle.
    They did have 1 kind, but the warning label did say it could cause death if inhaled or absorbed through the skin, to use overalls, gloves and a respirator when applying. And I'm supposed to spray this on my Jersey, and then actually drink the milk? Yea, right!

So, seems like I might have read here about mixing vinegar and citonella oil for a spray. As bad as I hate the smell of citronella, I might give this a try, unless you wonderful people can come up with a better solution, please.

But, concerning the citronella oil, where do you find that?

Thanks for any help.

2. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

We Have Beef Cattle So I Dont Know. But I Do Know That You Can Buy A Citronella Spray For Horses At The Ranch Supply Store. Hope Someone Else Replies Positively On Your Formula As It Is Way Cheaper!

3. pygmywombat

pygmywombat Well-Known Member

I make my own fly spray with a gallon of apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon or two of esstential citronella oil. It HAS to be the essential oil form. I keep it in a spray bottle and spray down the cow after milking. I even use it on myself when its bad out. It doesn't get rid of 100% of the flys, but it really cuts down on their numbers.

4. Mc's Farm

Mc's Farm Well-Known Member

Don't laugh!! I read that WD40 works excellent. Maybe, if I had only 1 cow I could afford the spray. :yeeha:

5. Ken in Minn

Ken in Minn Well-Known Member

Hello All
    We have a fly srray and a lotion. We call it Buzz Off.
    The spray we think will be better for people. Its clear and should not stain clothing, but would be cautious of the finer materials. It will last all day long. and washes off with soap and water.
    The other is a lotion. Its a heavy oil base, does not wash off with rain or sweat. but will wash off with soap and water. We put it on our dogs twice all last summer. They never had a fly, mosquito, nat or tics all summer long.
    Send me your snail mail addy and we will send you a sample.

Ken in Minn