Fly issue

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by perennial, Dec 11, 2006.

1. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

We have lots of flies - it seems they have gotten up into the vinyl piece that covers the porch roof - it has zillions of tiny wholes for air. Well, flies have flown in and then laid eggs i believe - now we are dealing with the big flies that can't fit up there anymore. What can i do short of cutting a hole on each end of it and putting a bug bomb in there. It might solve it for this year, but then i'll probably have to do it every season. Is there something
    flies don't like that i can put up there?

2. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I dont know what to tell you. My house, and my parents house have the same problem. A couple months after the first frost we start getting those big flies in the house. We just kill the few we get. I havent found it enough of a bother to investigate the possability of any preventative measures.

3. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Most likely that's cluster flies. Read up on them and their life cycle. I've had moderate success by using grub-x type treatment on the land around the house for several hundred feet.

4. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

foxtrapper may be correct about the cluster flies.

If so, they will not be laying eggs except in the soil in the spring. They are an earth worm parasite and have a long flying distance possible - like 10 miles or more. They spend the winter inside the walls or ceiling and often emerge when it is warm.

Is the porch on the south side of the house? If so, you should use a caulking or other sealing method to eliminate the holes. You don't really need any pesticide if you eliminate the entries. You should wait until summer to seal these holes.

It would be a good idea to identify the flies. If they are not cluster flies then there could be a dead animal or other food source. Cluster flies look similar to house flies, but they are a little bit larger. They also seem to fly in a more clumsy manner. If they are getting inside use a vacuum cleaner to collect them.

Good luck