Fly Control/Dewormer

Discussion in 'Goats' started by canine14, Jul 8, 2006.

1. canine14

canine14 Well-Known Member

I have finally gotten the rescued, starved goat. It's a wether and I am pretty sure he is a Nubian. I have him on hay and he is getting fresh browse a few times a day. I don't want to tax his system and have him get bloat by eating too much fresh. I will gradually work him up to spending longer times outdoors. He is already getting stronger and it has only been two days! At least now he is not collapsing every two steps. I also bought him a mineral block to get selenium and other added minerals/vitamins which I will put in his pen for him to lick.

I do have a few questions though:

1. The flies are bothering him when he is outside. Is there anything, preferably natural due to his weakened state, that I can put on him to prevent getting bitten?

2. When he is stronger in about a week, what should I use to deworm him? So far, his poops have been dark brown and in nicely formed pellets. I know though that worms are not always visible to the naked eye.

3. Is there any kind of salve I can put on the rough skin/scabs where he has healed-over pressure sores?

Thank you so much for answering my questions. I have been doing a lot of reading about goats but I also rely on the "voices of experience" here on this board.

Thank you,
    Lisa and Gordon the Goat

PS I am looking for a companion for him so if anyone has any goats to give away or sell for cheap in Eastern Ontario then please let me know!

2. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Lisa, to answer you fly question you can mix apple cider vinegar, liquid soap detergent, and water and this concoction will offer the animal some relief. Must be applied regularly.
    One gallon cider
    One bottle liquid dishwashing detergent
    One gallon water
    Apply with a soaked rag or a low pressure garden sprayer

Good luck, Tennessee John

3. TennesseeMama23

TennesseeMama23 Well-Known Member

Valblazen is the best kid wormer (the only wormer that kills tapes), I also use Ivermectin and Cydectin (some will say not to, but I do and everything is great (vet approved)).

4. canine14

I was going to use Ivermectin because I have also since found some external parasites. Do you inject under the skin or give by mouth? I know the dose goes by weight, but what is the correct dose per pound or kilo? I could only find it for horses, swine and sheep, but not goats.

Thanks.

5. TennesseeMama23

TennesseeMama23 Well-Known Member

Give it by mouth, but I think you have to use Ivermectin PLUS to get the external parasites. All wormers should be given by mouth (including injectable). I use cattle wormer (goat ivermectin does not exist).

If using pour on give labeled rate (1cc per 22 lbs)
    If using injectable give DOUBLE label does (don't know right off the top of my head what that is-I use pour on)

Happy worming,
    Melanie

6. canine14

Hi there,

I have the injectable Ivomec, not pour-on, and I really need to know the dose for goats. I have even searched the Merial site (makers of Ivomec) and can't find anything about goats. I need all you goat folks out there to help me out! By the way, I am pretty sure it is lice that he has.

Thanks,
    Lisa.