Fly bites on dog's ears.

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Ardie/WI, May 30, 2006.

1. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Is there something around the house I could use on Goldie's ear tips to repel the flies? I've heard coating them with vasoline worked but it didn't in this case. A neighbor told me to use Vick's ointment. I haven't tried that yet because I wondered if it wasn't toxic to dogs.

Goldie isn't very active anymore so the flies just find him am easy target. His poor ear tips get all bloody. I hate to keep him in the house all the time because he is shedding like crazy. Roger applies an animal fly pray but I wonder if that isn't painful..

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Use lavender essential oil. You can put it on straight from the bottle. Just use a few drops on each ear. The lavender will help to heal the bites as well as repel the flies.

3. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

I have used Bronco for horses on my dogs ears- worked much better than the pink ointment- swat and does not leave a greasy residue. Last Year started using bug block- also for horses. Like it better as do not need to apply daily after the intial 7 days. Repels skeeters too, so I mist my dogs all over. Both can be bought at TSC

4. 3ravens

3ravens on furlough-downsized Supporter

Yep! The stuff in the blue spray bottle that's marketed as being for horses works! Just don't get it in his eyes.....

5. Old Dog

Old Dog Active Member

Avon Skin So Soft works good as a bug repellent

6. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

Yes, SSS does work good, but not for long. I use it when taking dogs hiking in the woods to repel ticks and skeeters, but for flies, it needs to be reapplied about every 6-8 hours, especially if the dog gets wet.