Fluid In Lungs

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goatgirl2, Apr 9, 2006.

  1. goatgirl2

    goatgirl2 Active Member

    Messages:
    33
    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Location:
    New Mexico
    Hey all. I've got a set of twins born yesterday (angoras), and I believe they both aspirated a little birth fluid, but the smaller one is worse. She's weak and has a hard time standing, I'm hoping time will help... and her shear determination. She's a fighter! But, she still has a rattle in her lungs. Shall I give her pennicillin? If so, how much? I've given her some vitamin/mineral supplement via a bottle, and she took to that well. She does nurse and has gotten colostrum, but I have to hold her up. Any help is appreciated & I'll be checking in later. Thankyou in advance!

    Happy spring, everyone! We are having textbook beautiful NM weather today. Debra in NM
     
  2. goatkid

    goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    2,133
    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2005
    Location:
    Montana
    I've never given anything for this, but some folks give Tylan 50.
     

  3. wooly1s

    wooly1s Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    403
    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2006
    Location:
    North Idaho
    We have our first Angora kid on the ground, too. He rattles. He is nine days old today, and has always been strong. Doe birthed him alone - no assistance, he was clean and dry before we even knew what happened.
    I wondered myself about this (rattling), as I hadn't noticed it with our dairying kids last year. I remember hearing the same sound with puppies though, and since he is strong and showing no other signs of illness, we've let him be. Last year when our Togg doe twinned, the second twin was weaker on the legs than the first. We made sure he nursed every couple of hours the first two days, and gave him a little Nutri Drench. He rallied after the first couple of days - but made us worry!
    Around here, any time they see muscle weakness in kids, Selenium is suspect. Last year we gave BoSei innocs, not this year.
    I wonder if I would go the antibiotic/med route with no sign of temp...