Flu season

Discussion in 'Alternative Health' started by motivated, Oct 31, 2006.

1. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

Flu standbys:
    1. Elderberry capsules. 400mg. 1 capsule -4 times daily.
    2. Elderberry tea- 4-6 cups daily.
    3. Elderberry wine 4-5 oz. at bedtime.
    4. Elderberry concentrate 4-5 cups a day.
    Any combo above with rest, isolation, 6-8 cups of water daily.
    Work on building the immune system with rest, vitamins, herbs, and plenty of good old handwashing daily. :)
    motivated

2. RedGeranium

RedGeranium Well-Known Member

I agree.
    Elderberry is an anti-viral so it works on flu, colds, herpes...

When someone in this household starts feeling like...I grab the Elderberry capsules, 2 caps 3 to 4 x day for about three or four days. Elderberry tea/honey within reach all day if stomach flu. Elderberry does tend to cause softer stools (be aware!)
    I also measure out 3 qts water for the (cold) 'sickie' that must be finished each day by 6 or 7 pm. It keeps the mucous thin and helps flush the toxins outa the body. We drink 1/2 gal water a day, so that's why I go up to 3 qts.
    And...rest, rest, rest...But if rest means taking a short stroll, take a short stroll.

We have been using this remedy for 5-6 years now, and it really seems to nip the cold, flu and even herpes (canker sores). Sometimes we never really come down with the full blown symtoms...just feel like we're catching it for a few days.

3. chickmomma57

chickmomma57 Well-Known Member

Another great one for flu season is Oreganol drops. This is really potent stuff and expensive, but this stuff works for everything. It is a concentrated oil of wild mountain oregano. Just a couple of drops under your tongue, couple times a day when you feel something coming on. It's amazing it stops it within a day or two.

You can also use the oil for cuts, bruises, sore muscles, acne, cough, earache, sore joints etc. We would not be caught without a supply of this in the house. This oil has also really helped my sister with her fibro symptoms.

4. motivated

Is that the same as oregano oil?
    I have heard that oregano oil is a potent antiviral. What dosage is recommended?
    Thanks
    motivated

5. chickmomma57

chickmomma57 Well-Known Member

Yes it is the same as oregano oil. For use as a preventative, we take 2 drops under our tongue once a day.

When we start feeling something coming on, we up the 2 drops to 3-4 times a day. They also have oregano in gel caps, but we have found that they repeat on you all day.

This oil has been a God send to us in preventative as well as fighting any bug that comes at us.

I should say we also supplement with elderberry tincture, extra Vit C, dandelion tea and multi's.

The most important thing about the oregano oil is the best and strongest oil is marked P73. Expensive but well worth having it around.

6. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

Does any one have a particular place where they get Elderberry capsules and oreganol drops?

7. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

If I dry or can elderberries (the fruit) can I get similar results by making a tea with that?
    Ann

8. motivated

Elderberry capsules Solaray they are berry and flower 575mg. Cost $10.99 here at health food store.
    Elderberry tincture Natures Answer 1000mg per dropper. Cost $9.50.
    Elderberry tea $4.00 box of 24 bags.
    Elderberry wine $4.99 Manechevitz?

9. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Same concept as the Elderberry, we use Rosehip tea, but am considering adding the Elderberry to my stockpile of winter supplies. Variety is a good thing imo. reese

P.S. We did use suckydrops (like candy, but meant for medicinal purposes) last winter, one type with Elderberry and one with Pine (another good option) which helped a lot on sore thoats from sinus drainage. We have winter allergies so constantly fighting the results from sinuses.

10. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, if you make the tea from fresh or dried elderberries; but not so good if canned. The canning process removes too much of their potency. However, the more potent form of the elderberries would be if you were to make a tincture from them.

I'm really big on tinctures because they are so easy to make & store, plus you only have to make them once a year. They will, however, last 2 years or more.

11. rkintn

rkintn mean people suck

I have heard tea made from Blackberry leaves is a good antiviral and is especially good for stomach distress. Also, the juice is supposed to be good and I tried it for my 3yo who had some kind of stomach virus and had awful diahrreah(sp?). He was going about every 45mins to an hour before I had him drink some blackberry juice and it cut down on the bathroom trips tremendously. To the point that the next trip to the bathroom was about 3 hours later and the last trip was in the evening before he went to bed and things seemed to have been clearing up. I just used the juice from canned blackberries from the store! So, I figure blackberry tea maybe a good staple to add to our medicine cabinet!

12. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Karen,
    How do you make a tincture, and then how do you use it (amount, frequency, dilution???)
    Thanks.
    Ann

13. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

I use bulk herbs from

http://www.herbalcom.com/

they have both dried elderberry and dried elder flowers