Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter works at a assisted living facility, the residents all get the shot, yet the flu is spreading through the place, many of the residents have it. 10 so far of the 60 people who work at the place have come down with it as well. Most of the workers, and all who have gotten the flu, have had the shot. Only a few don't get the shot, but none of those have contracted it. Those who got the shot were quite sick after having received the shot as well.

Now for the navy....

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/cd...uenza-outbreak-on-fully-vaccinated-navy-ship/

So does the flu shot work, and is it worth getting if you get sick from the shot on top of everything?

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
A few flu vaccine facts for your consideration:

You can't get sick from the flu shot - it's a killed vaccine. You may get some aches as your body makes antibodies, but you don't have the flu.

You were more likely to have picked up something else while out getting your flu shot or to have been exposed to the flu before the flu shot kicks in.

It takes several weeks for the flu shot to convey immunity or partial immunity.

The flu shot is a calculated guess as to what strain of the flu is going to be common for that particular year. Get a different strain, and it's not effective against it.

The shot is not 100% effective even against the right strain, but it can lessen the severity of the illness.

Older people have weaker immune systems, so their response to the shot is not as effective as it is for a younger person and they are more likely to still become ill, even if not as severely.

A lot of illnesses are not actually influenza - there are plenty of other viruses that can make you feel pretty miserable. A flu shot will not work against a non-flu virus.

So, yeah, get your flu shot if you can. Even more importantly, avoid sick people, wash your hands and use hand sanitizer, use the wipes provided for chopping cart handles and don't touch your face. Wear a mask in crowds or if you are on a plane.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
We never get the flu shot - I don't trust that there isn't mercury in the vaccine, and how many times have they given shots that don't coordinate with that year's flu strain? Plus, flu isn't deadly for most people. All those millions who died in the 19-teens died of pneumonia as a side effect of flu, because antibiotics didn't exist yet.

I've had the flu once in my life, three days after the only flu shot I ever had. I know it's supposed to be a dead virus, but that's just a little too coincidental for me. I was so, so, sick for two weeks, after that shot.

If someone has a compromised immune system, or they're elderly, then it's probably worth it to take the flu (and pneumonia) shot. But for our family, never again.

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
I have never gotten a flu shot. The last time I had the flu it was in the 70's,swine flu. Had a cold,about 6 years ago,caught it from Dh. He always gets the shot. But he is in the public and also eats alot more "junk" food. (junk food, is anything non organic, or with sugar, ect)

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
I'm 74 so I look on the flu shot as insurance which I get every year. There are three levels of the flu shot; a low dose level for children, regular dose for adults and extra strength for those over 65 or having a compromised immune system. Not all Doctors carry all three.

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
I don't get the flu shot, but that's because I'm pretty isolated.

What I do get is a pneumonia vaccine that lasts 7 years - the flu usually doesn't kill ya, it's when it turns into pneumonia that it gets bad.

BTW: you can still get pneumonia with having had the vaccine, but you won't die.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
This is the first year in decades I did not get a flu shot and, bada boom, I got sick for the first time in decades. However, it was not the flu as I had low temperature.
I certainly would not arrive at the conclusion I got sick because I did not get a shot. You can not sort a coincidence from an effect based on one time happening unless someone is alleging a 100% guarantee.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have read a lot about the flu vaccines and have come to the conclusion that no, its not worth it. My self and family (dh and 2 kiddos 7,3) haven't had the shot in a few years and no flu. The first and only time we had the flu my daughter caught it then myself, then hubby. My son never got it. None of us had been vaccinated that year either. The couple years that we got the kids got the shot we never got the flu either so maybe we are just healthy people with a low risk of contracting... Of course in that case I don't feel the need to pump us all full of chemical cocktail on an annual basis.

Some of the studies that I have read (no links, don't remember where i read) suggested that while the immune system is fighting (ie making antibodies) against the dead flu from the vaccine it is more susceptible to attack from other illness, whether it be another strain of flu or just a cold- so that might account for the sick folks who got the vaccination.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
I just got mine today. Have done so for the past 7 years since I came down with a horrible case of the flu and almost died. My arm is a bit sore, but that's all.

As to whether it will protect me from all strains of the flu. No, of course not. But it will for the most common strains this year. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
A few flu vaccine facts for your consideration:

You can't get sick from the flu shot - it's a killed vaccine. You may get some aches as your body makes antibodies, but you don't have the flu.

You were more likely to have picked up something else while out getting your flu shot or to have been exposed to the flu before the flu shot kicks in.

It takes several weeks for the flu shot to convey immunity or partial immunity.

The flu shot is a calculated guess as to what strain of the flu is going to be common for that particular year. Get a different strain, and it's not effective against it.

The shot is not 100% effective even against the right strain, but it can lessen the severity of the illness.

Older people have weaker immune systems, so their response to the shot is not as effective as it is for a younger person and they are more likely to still become ill, even if not as severely.

A lot of illnesses are not actually influenza - there are plenty of other viruses that can make you feel pretty miserable. A flu shot will not work against a non-flu virus.

So, yeah, get your flu shot if you can. Even more importantly, avoid sick people, wash your hands and use hand sanitizer, use the wipes provided for chopping cart handles and don't touch your face. Wear a mask in crowds or if you are on a plane.
'well the Dr said it was the flue but what does he know is am sure you know more then the 3 DR the told me had the flue.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
As far as I am aware there is no true influenza in the US yet this year. I work in medicine and while I might have missed it, it's early for the flu to be in the US, but we're getting close. Many illnesses, especially gastrointestinal bugs are labelled "the flu".

I've had a flu shot every year since I had the real deal 12 years ago. I have never been so sick and I never want to be that sick again. Now that I work in medicine I feel a responsibility not to spread it to the young and elderly I'm in contact with since you're contagious fro 24 hours before you know you are sick.

As to the link to the article, this would be last years flu outbreak (it says earlier in 2014). If you get vaccinated too early, the vaccine does become less effective. On the West Cost we recommend vaccinating in October or November to cover through March/April. The flu reached the West Coast very late last year, if the sailors were vaccinated in September and were exposed in April or May in California the vaccine would have waned.

·
Premium Member
7,033 Posts
I get the flu shot because I tend to get pnemonia. Got that senior heavy duty shot....I think. My arm didn't get red, or swell up, couldn't even find where the needle went in, even using the magnifying glass, and I haven't gotten sick yet. It's only been three weeks though, so I'm sure I'll get sick soon!

Mon

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have said this before.

Use to work at a grocery store and I lost count of the people who would come in SICK and had ran out of groceries. They all said the same thing... I had the flu shot I cant be sick. But they where and sicker than anybody else.

That got me into checking out vaccines.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
I have said this before.

Use to work at a grocery store and I lost count of the people who would come in SICK and had ran out of groceries. They all said the same thing... I had the flu shot I cant be sick. But they where and sicker than anybody else.

I've been sick many times with virus/ cold/ flu - type symptoms. I was sick for three weeks last year and the cough lasted another three. But have only had the actual flu twice in my life. Believe me, there is a huge difference. Folks with the flu wouldn't be shopping for groceries -- they'd be too sick to be out and about. During the last episode of flu, I crawled on hand and knees down to the chicken coop and pulled over the barrel of feed and hoped the ***** would leave them alone for a few days -- that's the best I could do for them. It took me about 4 months to fully recover my strength.

So, yeah, people do shop when they are sick and spread all kinds of viruses, but not all those are the flu.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
I have said this before.

But the people who got the flu shot and did not get sick never come to your notice. I bet that not one person ever asked you to guess why they weren't sick just so they could say they had a flu shot.

Maybe every one of those not sick people got a flu shot too.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
just trust the CDC, they are a part of the government so you can believe everything they say.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts