flowers over a lawn

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by suelandress, Oct 11, 2005.

1. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Suggestions for turning a lawn into a big flower garden without removing the grass anyone? Lawn is very heavy in plantain :(

2. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

hi, there's a cool website called lonniesbulkseeds.com check it out. I would get a bunch of mixed wildflowers and overseed the yard then buy a bag of peat moss and spread it over the top very thinly, like an 8th of an inch then water it for a couple weeks. In the springtime of course.

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

plantain grow best is kind of rocky soil, so it may be that you should dig up all the grass, put down new topsoil, then plant flowers.

i don't know of many flowers that can compete with grass.

4. suelandress

I don't want logic :p I want SIMPLICITY :D Actually I need speed...I bought a whole bunch of bulbs at a reallllly good price.....as well as several dozen mini shrubs (18-24 inches tall) figuring a wood perennail stood a better chance than one that had to compete with popping out of the ground....

5. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

How about covering the area with newspaper until the grass fully dies off, and then tilling everything in? It's a bit of work, but it's simple and then the flowers won't have to compete with the grass.

6. suelandress

I was actually thinking cardboard.....and new layers as needed... Just hoped someone would have some experience with this...no need duplicating mistakes :D

7. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I used cardboard boxes between my garden rows this year. It became an unsightly mess. The boxes split and raised up and some blew away when we had high winds.

You could cover the cardboard with hay/straw. Maybe that would weigh it down enough where it won't start to look bad.

Plastic is another way to kill grass. This may work better in the summer with the high heat solarizing the grass and killing it more efficiently.

Of course, there are always leaves. You could pile them on pretty thick. They will decompose and improve your soil, also.

8. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Short of poison I dont have an answer.But I do have a friend who took out his grass for flowers and it made an absolutley awesome front yard.Very nice way to go.

BooBoo

9. suelandress

Ok Leaves (free) over cardboard (free) I do have a couple of rolls of black fabric "weed block" and ground staples...although not enough for the entire front yard (about 60x150)

Now a big question....will tulips and such come up in the same spot year after year? It's one thing if I cut a hole in the cardboard in one spot but they decide to come up in another..... :help:

As you can tell, I'm new to flowers. Have had a veggie garden since I was knee high to a grape, but flowers.....

10. mightybooboo

I have a Royal model paper shredder from Target.It will chop right through single layers of cardboard boxes without a problem.We put a thick layer of it and shredded paper in our garden and flower beds.Bulbs pop right through without any problem.

BooBoo

11. suelandress

Ok Two questions...do the bulbs pop through the same spot each year and if the bulbs can do it, why not the weeds?

12. mightybooboo

Well,the bulbs will spread as they make more,but pretty much the same spot.Weeds put up little spindly weak things that cant push through,bulbs put up a pretty strong plant that pushes through without a problem.
    My experience with shredded paper mulch bulbs go through just fine.Sometimes if the stuff doesnt split away,you will see mounds,just brush it away from the emerging plant.We see a little of that with the miniature day lilies and daffy dills.

BooBoo

13. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

had another thought.

many spring bulbs come up and bloom early enough in the spring they don't have to compete with grass. but the time the grass gets big enough to mow, most of the bulbs are done.

i second the shredded paper. i use it for everything around here- bedding, mulch, compost, fill in low spots... got a decent shredder at walmart for 35 bucks, but i wouldn't even attempt cardboard in it.

14. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm thinking... what about lasagna/sheet composting/whatever you choose to call it?

Lay down cardboard and leaves and compost and whatever else you can get your hands on, and plant the bulbs right into that.

<shrug>

Or not. I only have a very small section of the yard started in lasagna beds, but it may work.

Pony!