flowers in pots

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by nobs, May 24, 2005.

1. nobs

nobs Well-Known Member

can perrinials(sp) be grown in pots? Lillies, grasses? I'm redoing my mothers front yard, and want to put almost all of it in big pots if possible. She hates weeding. Lots of gravel, plastic, and pots will be used. Thanks

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Yes. I've been keeping perennials in pots for years now, because I kept having to move :grump: or I hadn't built gardens or wasn't certain where to put things or whatever.

I have some ancient pinks, for example, that first came from one of my grandmother's gardens. I keep splitting them (or whatever it's called) and putting them in new pots and bit by bit in the gardens I want them in. Echinacea, I have some of it that's at least six years old now. I kept a bunch of iris in pots til I was sure where to put them - they did fine --- and I now have tulips and crocus in pots til i get their beds prepared. I also have some roses and jasmine and ... well you get the idea.

Just make sure you put them in the right pots - pinks for example hate those plastic pots, as does echinacea, while roses, jasmine and sage all seem to love them.

I have some ancient daylilies, BTW, in a pot at my sistr's house. They've been in it for six-seven years and still going!

3. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I have all kinds of things in pots, including some semi-dwarf fruit trees. Crepe myrtles, spirea, roses, etc. Just water them often enough and they will be fine. I like the plastic pots, because they hold the water well and don't get hot. I also love those new lightweight ones that look like pottery? Those are really pretty and last a long time.

Have fun!

hollym