flowerbaskets

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Tabitha, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

to pretty up the place a little I bought two wirebaskets with a brown, fibreous layer inside, planted petunias and lobelia and hung them to the left and right of the porch. I am wondering if I did anything wrong as those things leak terribly. everytime I water my plants I have to put a bucket underneath as the water streams through making a mess. How do you get those things a bit more water tight?

2. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

If you make them water-tight, they won't drain properly, and your flowers will look icky, especially the lobelia. It hates wet feet. So do the petunias, but they can tolerate it better, so I guess they just dislike wet feet, not hate them. ;)

I'd just make sure I water them with a bucket under them, and move the bucket when they're done dripping. Or, you could pick up some WaterSorb and put those in the soil -- it won't stop the dripping when you water, but you'll have to water less often.

Pony!

3. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Those moss baskets sure are pretty in all the magazine pictures -- but they never tell you how high-maintenance they are! Yes, they leak all over the place, and they will -- just like any hanging basket. I hang mine where it won't matter, otherwise, like Pony said, you'll need a bucket underneath when you water.

And then there's the problem of drying out . . . One trick we learned is that at planting time, put an aluminum pie pan in the bottom of each basket before adding the soil and plants. It acts like an internal saucer and they don't dry out *quite* so quickly. We have also tried lining the moss with a plastic bag, punching a couple of drainage holes in the bottom, before adding soil and plants.

They are more trouble than they are worth in our dry, hot, and windy part of the country.

According to research done by Ohio State U., the water-holding polymer crystals don't really work as advertised, unfortunately. They take up water really well, but don't give it back until the plant is almost dead.