Flour sacks.....

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by ginnie5, Jan 15, 2007.

1. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

in the things given to us from the cleaning of dh's grandmother's house was a bag of flour sacks. They still have the milling company's name on them and everything. Self rising flour. I've no idea how old they are...the fabric feels strong still. So now I need ideas on what to do with them. There are probably 20 or so. I'm thinking kitchen towels and potholders. course if they're really rare I'd hate to use them like that. I'll admit I've never seen a floursack before now.

2. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

Can you use them for flour?

3. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

I've read that Victorian women all the up to our Grandmas used to use floursack towels to dry the dishware. They never left any lint on your drinking glasses etc. Super absorable too from what I've read.

Kat

4. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was a kid my mother would make me dresses out of flour sacks. When she would buy her flour she would try to get the same pattern several times in a row so she could collect enough of the same pattern. I will always remember one made with yellow butterflys.

5. Muskrat

Muskrat Well-Known Member

There are those who collect flour sacks, but none that I've seen have a monetary value that would much exceed their value as fabric.

As to use, yes, they are lint-free, so they make very nice dishtowels.
    Other uses:

Make either short curtains for a small window or piece together to make longer curtains in a "Country" kitchen.

Make aprons from thm and wear when you sell at the farmers' market, when you do public demonstrations, etc.

Stretch them inside wooden frames amd use them as artwork to decorate your kitchen, etc.

Make cushion covers for your rocker.

Make cushion covers for your wagon, goat cart, etc.

Use them as a table cover underneath your exhibits at the County Fair

Use them as sacks, fill with seed or whatever, for your fall yard decorations.

If they have large designs, such as a rooster, or sunflower, use as center block in a quilt.

If the design lends itself, use it as an embroidery or quiltblock pattern.

6. ginnie5

well there's no neat design on them....just the name of the mill that processed the flour. I'll have some new kitchen towels it seems. One is already earmarked as a jelly bag.

7. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

Being somewhat opportunistic, I would take digital pictures of them.....and post them for sale on ebay. Sell one or 3 or 10 or all. Start the bid at $0.99. You may do well or you may not. I suggest listing at $ 0.99 because "people want bargains" Also because the fees on Ebay will be cheaper (?) that way....
    What the Hay? Give it a try! YOU might have something that someone else would TRUELY TREASURE........and, you MIGHT make a buck or two.

I quit collecting "stuff" many years ago......BUT, if I can get something useable without any more than a little of my own labor......whio knows when I'll NEED that to do something that "I TREASURE"!!

I know (pack-rat).....
    Ha-Ha!
    Bruce (Junkmanme)

8. caryatid

caryatid Well-Known Member

I had a lady give me some flour sacks and had me make a couple teddy bears for her. :)

9. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Since flour sacks were a softer weave, that is what my Mother used to make our panties, and slips.

10. Trevilians

Trevilians Well-Known Member

Like Ruby, my mother used to make my dresses out of flour sacks when I was a child. I loved getting a new dress. Fond memories. Thanks.

I think they might make interesting curtains.

11. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

If the milling company's name is reasonably bright they would make neat kitchen aprons.

12. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

My mom used them to strain fruit juices to make jelly and to strain milk. We also had hankies made from them. Sam

13. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

My Mother and GM used to use white feed sacks to make sheets for our beds. They would use the print ones for all sorts of things. Clothes, dishtowels, potholders, quilts. A lot of times they would use the white ones for the back of quilts they were making.

I managed to get a few printed ones at a sale one time. Still have them

14. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

These are really quite hot as decorative/collectors items. I've seen them go fairly high at auctions. You might want to check that out before you cut them up.

15. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got 2 with a really neat scene and the name of a long gone local mill on them framed and hanging in the den. Most visitors comment on then very favorably.

16. ginnie5

I talked to fil last night and he said the last time he remembered buying flour in sacls was when they lived in WV. These are fom Greensboro NC. There are 17 that are still bags and 20 something that gm had opened. She was very crafty and always making things so I'm thinking that she had some project in mind. I'm going to try and talk to dh's aunt and see if she knows anything. We found a couple of them that the print is still pretty good on so we're going to frame those and put them up somehwere. I just love the oldness of them.....does that make any sense? lol! I was sitting there going thru them and wondering what mamoe had in mind for them and thinking about how very different things are now as when she was collecting those. She made beautiful quilts....maybe she was saving them for a backing, or maybe they were destined to be towels, or maybe they were for the dolls she made in some way. At any rate it gave me a little bit of joy to sit there touching them and feeling a little connected to a time long gone and a very interesting lady I wished I could've known better.