Florida June 2005 goat conference

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jan Brewer, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Jan Brewer

Jan Brewer Member

Hi to all, I am new to your list, but we have just signed Carla Emery who has written the "Encyclopedia of County Living" in its 10th edition to speak at our Annual Goat Production Conference on June 11 and 12, 2005 iin Gainesville, Florida. Carla is well know by us old time homesteaders as I have her original book from the late 1970's. She has been featured on "the Mike Douglas Show", "Good Morning America", "Johnny Carson" , "Seattle Today" and "Donahue". Can anyone give me advice how to reach homesteaders and those who might be interested in attending our conference and hearing Carla speak in addition to her offering wonderful homesteading books, her books and a "freebie" table for information. I would appreciate your input. Thanks a lot. jan

2. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Hey Jan, sorry I didn't see this earlier.. I would copy and post it on the various lists here.. many of the folks on this list are also on others and vice-versa.. I would LOVE to go! Gainsville is old stompin grounds for me.. :haha:
    now, if only I could find a sitter, in the summer, for the goats!!

3. Jan Brewer

Jan Brewer Member

Hi Stacy,

Thank so much for responding. I am a little nervous regarding this conference, I have been involved since 1988 and then taking it over completely in 1992-1993 (I forget which). Never had a speaker which was not completely goat related, but I got my feet wet in 1977 in Washington state reading Carla's first book, she was my bible for homesteading. I no longer homestead, don't have time, but the goats have remained. So I am so hoping I can get people involved and let them know what all she has to offer. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. And if you get back to Gainesville, Florida, look me up on my goat farm! Thanks much, Jan

4. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

You betcha! I just love visiting goat folks!

Another idea is to advertise in Countryside magazine and maybe even in the Dairy Goat Journal or the Caprine News.. I would also add what the cost of the conferance is.. I'm sure it'll be a hit
    :)

5. billooo2

billooo2 Well-Known Member Supporter

You can do a search on yahoo for goat groups..there are several. I have Alpines, and there is a group, Alpine Talk, that has subscribers all over the country. A couple more suggestions on promoting this:
    1. post on several groups;
    2. post more than once, maybe once/month up until the deadline for registrations;
    3. include the topics that Carla is speaking about;
    4. include something about the other speakers, and their topics;
    5. include some local hotels/motel information.....some of them may offer reduced rates.....and campgrounds...
    Good Luck!!

6. Jan Brewer

Jan Brewer Member

thanks much, excellent ideas...I will use them. Jan