Florida gathering

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jan Doling, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Okay, so we Floridians want to get together to share skills, ideas and celebrate not having blown to Kansas in spite of 4 hurricanes. Jump in with your replies brainstorming a weekend....maybe in Feb or would Ocala be too cool still? What do you most want to do: classes to share skills and ideas, community cooking (who can bring what items) and is anyone skilled at arranging the reservations. Don't be shy, this will be a campout to look forward to! Is there a 3 day week end that would enable our out-of-state forum members to join us (give the snow shovel a break, guys!)? Everyone join in now!

2. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Feb is still a bit cold here,March is windy or still depending on the weathers approach, either will work for me.

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I have no idea how things will be workwise for me at that time- I'm looking for employment away from education. I'd like to say that I'm in however- I'd love it, maybe in April :) for us quickly chilled folks? I can bring a whole scalded pig for a pig roast if there is the facility for one- or I can donate chickens for roasting, soup, etc. I've no talents to share but I'd love to learn soap-making and cheese-making from goat milk (hint, hint, anyone?)

5. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Count me in.

There used to be a campground on the St Johns River, outside Deland, called Crows Bluff. It was a USDA campground with a lodge, 2- 2 pottie restrooms and cost $100 a night back in the 80's. Don't know if its still around, but will check- sometime....I vote for Presidents Day weekend- February - Coldish- NO TICKS NO SKEETERS!

6. Grandmotherbear

I really don't know much- home birth, hospice, beginning backpacking and wilderness survival are about the limits of my expertise! :haha:

7. Jan Doling

Grandmotherbear:

President's Day weekend is Feb 19,20 & 21. If you could, please find out about the Crow's Bluff campground sooner rather than later as we would need to reserve something ASAP and if it is not available or is too expensive, we would need to find something else.

There is a nice wooded, county campground near Orlando (Lake Mills Park) that has a few group camping sites (no amenities, no electric, 20 persons each site) as well as individual sites (1 bath house with potties and showers, picnic tables & grill on each site) at very reasonable rates (it was $5 per nite 2 years ago). We would need to know soon how many are interested, so please everyone RSVP with estimated number of people coming with you on this thread, even if you already said you were interested on the other unrelated thread, so we can organize this.

Does anyone have specific info re certain campgrounds in other areas such as Ocala?

8. Anniebek

Anniebek Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how far Ocala is from say, Mobile? I would love to meet some of you and share some knowledge...okay, learn from you, we are moving to our homestead in April :)

Anniebek

9. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Go to www.mapquest.com and enter the places, it will calculate for you and supply a map also.
    Just 1 person here for the count.

10. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Well..... provided we don't have to be micro chipped to travel by then..... and gas can still be purchased!! LOL!! ....

Florida is one of the states I need to visit to finish off the lower 48!! I'll save some money for gas :eek: :eek:

If I can come, I will; and will be happy to demonstrate/teach Medical Massage Therapy Techniques for use with chronic pain, headaches, etc. if you want.

What's the weather like there during Feb? Where in FL.. panhandle??? Where ya thinkin' of?

11. Jan Doling

The weather is unpredictable in Feb. It could be what makes snow birds drive south every year or it could be just as cold as Georgia. The good news is that we haven't had snow in nearly 20 years and then it only flurried. Also, it won't be hurricane season then! Central Fla would be more convenient for most Floridians and youy could always go to Disney World if you get bored!

12. Grandmotherbear

In 2003 on MLK weekend my Boy Scout Troop and I were hiking the Florida trail from River Ranch to Lorida. We met up with a Appalachian Trail thru hiker who thought Florida Trail would be easy- no mountains and warm weather. The sugar sand had about whupped him and the temp was dropping into the 30s. He was most dismayed. I also remember a Presidents Weekend hike where I like to died of heat stroke.
    Bring layers, be prepared for either extreme.

13. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

This sounds like the River Forest Group Campground which is at Crows Bluff on the St. Johns river. It's been some years since I was last there, but it has facilities that would be suited for our type of gathering.

I couldn't find a particularly good link on the net for the place but I did find this:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/florida/recreation/index_oca.shtml

Scroll down to the River Forest Campground. There's a contact number for more info. Anyone live in the area? I'm on the other side of the peninsula from there now.

.....Alan.

14. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

423 miles from mobile al to ocala fl.

15. Anniebek

Anniebek Well-Known Member

Thank you very much :) I would have eventually looked it up, but nice not to have to!

Sounds like about six hours or so of driving. I will discuss with DH and depending on what weekend (he gets every other weekend off) we will try to make it.

Anniebek

16. Jan Doling

A.T. Hagan:

Thanks for the site, Alan. I thought it sounded familiar....that's where I had my wedding 11/9/01!

$150 per night x 3 nights = $450 and so far 10 or so have expressed interest = $45 each. There is a maximum of 125 people, so forum folks who wait too long would have to read the obituaries and substitute for pre-paid members who cancel. I'm game.

Y'all let me know what you want to do. Any other suggestions for alternatives? I've got 20 acres, but you'd have to be a real swamp lover to use most of it and it would be primitive camping (no hunting or roasting our poultry, all you survivalist woodsmen!)

17. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Being a country gal stuck in the city, my country skills have been sapped so I wouldn't have a setup for a display. I can bring some food and beverages and would enjoy being at this get together. I also have quite a few books I could bring as freebies.

I do want to attend and any month is good for me. I have long johns, jackets and tank tops a-plenty for any unexpected turn in the weather. Count me in too. I'm looking forward to it. :cool:

18. Jan Doling

So let's decide on a campground for President's weekend, please. If you wait too long for reservations, the snow birds will take all the spaces.

Do you want individual sites at the county campground (off SR 417 near Orlando) Lake Mills Park -- This is a 50-acre park located on Third Street north of Lake Mills Road in Southwest Seminole County near Chuluota. Lake Mills offers a unique up-close look at a mixed hardwood swamp. You'll also find highlands thick with oak and pine at Lake Mills. It's an extraordinary opportunity to see the wide range of the real, natural Florida. Pavilions are invitingly located under the shade of 150 year old oak trees. The park also features an amphitheater. There are places for camping, cookouts, jogging, and fishing from boardwalks. There is even a playground with a tot lot for the youngsters to enjoy. Campsites are available for $5 per night. Group campsites, which are larger, are available for $20 per night. This park is open 363 days a year and is closed for Thanksgiving and Christmas. The park is open from sunrise to 10 p.m., and there is no charge for daytime admission. This park was closed since the hurricanes, but plans to reopen on Friday 11/5/04. If we choose this option, we could each make our own reservations (call 407-788-0609 but ask to be located near the other Homestead Today forum members) The individual sites have tables and grills but no electric and there is a bathhouse with toilets and showers. It is a very pretty park.

Or if you prefer the River Forest state campground suggestion listed previously, there will need to be a deposit using a major credit card and it will cost about $45 for the 3 nights) and someone with a major credit card will have to take care of all those details, deposits, etc for the group.

Have we narrowed it down enough to decide yet? The ten forum members who expressed interest can e-mail me direct.

19. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

I don't have next years calander yet, what exact dates are we talking about? How many days do you exspect to be present?

February is normally about 60 day time highs here, down to 40 or so at night. Can go to freezing also that time of year.

The area mentioned is near the coast, about 40 miles away, could have a day of surf fishing also. Playlinda beach is near also, natural ocean side land with out any commerical applications near Port Canaveral,aka Kennedy Space Center, a sight well worth viewing.

20. Jan Doling

A 3 day holiday: President's Day weekend is Feb 19, 20 & 21, 2005.

Lake Mills park is about 30 minutes west of I95 or about 30 minutes east of I4 or about 45 minutes from the Florida turnpike. There is also a wonderful historic park nearby at Fort Christmas and discount outlets in the area if it should rain.

We need to decide so everyone can do their own reservations before the northerners arrive for the season. If anyone has other suggestions, please post them. This campground only has 1 group site for about 10 tents (primitive, but not overly far from bathhouse) with a fire ring plus about 12 individual sites closer to the bathhouse but with fires only allowed on the grills. We might want to find a larger campground in Central Fla to allow others to join us if they decide as the time grows closer. Than again, that might be more expensive and if we wait too long it may be too late. Let me know what you think.