Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, we are interested in moving and researching options. We currently live in Northern California. If you are familiar with FL do you have any recommendations on areas to look into? We have two younger kids and would like minimum of 5 acres for a small farm (garden/green house, fruit trees, chickens, ducks, goats). We would ideally like to be in a rural and less populated area but still relatively close to bigger city for access. An added bonus would be a holistic community. I welcome any of your suggestions. Thank you in advance!
Jillian

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree with North Central, just be prepared for a culture shock! I’ve lived in both places and the difference in culture and climate are dramatic. Do your research on the areas you look at, there are a lot of retirees and it has become quite urbanized. I love the area and still take the grandkids camping there every year, we just wanted four seasons, less humidity and fewer mosquitoes...

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
I agree center of the state. As far south as Venus, Lake Placid area North
Venus/Lake Placid is actually south noncoastal FL. While Hendry County has some less expensive land you have to drive for shopping or medical care, and the employment and school situations aren't great. I personally recommend north ofthe Big Bend area- haven't checked out the area personally, I think it must be less expensive. In highland county the 100 ft by 150 ft lot to us just sold for $129,000. My son wants to retire to inland Brevard County (Cape Kennedy/Canaveral ) but towards the inland side.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We were station at Patrick AFB for 20 years in Brevard county. Love the area but it has really grown.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Venus/Lake Placid is actually south noncoastal FL. While Hendry County has some less expensive land you have to drive for shopping or medical care, and the employment and school situations aren't great. I personally recommend north ofthe Big Bend area- haven't checked out the area personally, I think it must be less expensive. In highland county the 100 ft by 150 ft lot to us just sold for $129,000. My son wants to retire to inland Brevard County (Cape Kennedy/Canaveral ) but towards the inland side.
Yes I am in Palm Beach County. and 2 lots 10k square just sold for 127,500 each. Farther North the better I agree. I only mentioned that area if they wanted to goas far south as they could. I would not recommend any further south then that. There are still some land deals in that area. There are non in my area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts