floppy ear tips

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by GoldenWood Farm, May 6, 2005.

1. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I have couple NZW junior does that just developed soft ear tips. Is this some
    sort of deficiancy?

Thanks,
    Judy Norquist

2. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes... it's either a deficiency of Vitamin A... or an over abundance of Vitamin A. They both give the same symptoms.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

3. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

Pat, question for you if I may.
    I heard it can also be from getting to hot, is that true?
    I noticed when it started getting warmer after our last
    mini bout with colder temps, some of mine, their ear tips flopped and when
    but withing a couple days they are back up again.
    Would this be heat or the vit A def?
    Or do both situations do this?

4. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

OKay, so I'm assumming its a deficiency since I feed with commercial pellet.
    How would one treat it, with water soluble vits made for rabbits?

Judy

5. Pat Lamar

More than likely, it was a coincidence coinciding with the temperatures. I've never heard or known of heat causing just the ear tips to lop. It could have been just that one batch of feed, too.

Pat Lamar
    President

6. Pat Lamar

Your assumption could be very wrong! Both Vitamin A deficiencies and over-abundance have happened several times in the pelleted rabbit feed business! Pelleted rabbit feed is notorious for its lack of consistency of ingredients.

I would notify the feed mill of the problem and temporarily switch to a different brand, since it could have been just the one batch. Please note that I stated to contact the feed MILL who mills the pelleted feed... not the actual brand name company! The company will always stand behind their forumula and you'll get nowhere. The mill, however, is where that formula is mixed and where the problems will come from.

Pat Lamar
    President

7. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Couple of my rabbits had floppy ear tips and I gave them a LITTLE bit of grass--the ear tips firmed right up the next day. Yeah, they could have gotten diarrhea, but it was only a little bit. The funny thing was, after the first day I gave them grass I skipped a day and the ears flopped again. So I gave them some more for a couple days and no floppy ears since. Is there a lot of vitamin A in grass or something?

8. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hello Pat ,, I have a question about giving plants as a suppliment ,, to almost due or new moma does ,, :confused:

I got some comfrey roots last fall ,, have in a big huge tub ,, they are leafing out well ,, I have been giving my does that are due 1/2 of a large leaf a day each ,,

I was told this was good for their milk production ?? have you ever heard of giving comfrey ? all the rabbits love it ,, but I only give 1/2 a piece ea .. I worry an entire one would give them the runs ,,,

I've thought about planting a pot of parsley ,, I have some lavendar ,, I've read that both are good to give a doe thats over due a sm small handful ?? or right after she gives birth to help be sure she's expelled everything ?? is this true or is it an oft repeated old farmers tale that has become truth ?

is there a site where I could learn of a few plants that would be easy to keep around to give to my rabbits if needed ,,

9. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Yes, there IS vitamin A in grass.