Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
The place we just moved out of had that cheap trash in it... you don't want it... looked cheap, felt cheap, sounded cheap, but then again, maybe you like cheap? you get what you pay for..

Reactions: Bubbas Boys

·
Premium Member
41,016 Posts
I cant say, havent seen any of it thats been on a floor for 50 to 100 years, so dont know how well it will hold up over time. I made my own with oak milled from trees here on the farm, its doing ok so far and I have seen other old timey houses well over a hundred years old with the same type material that the floors are still in good shape. Mine cost me about 20 cents a square foot. (saw mill fee)

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are wanting to put in Floating Floor that can handle getting wet.

big rockpile

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
We put in our rental house and I thought it looked nice for vinyl floor. The reason we chose this type of flooring is that if one spot on the floor was damaged we could just lift out one plank and replace only that.....not the entire floor.

The last tenants moved out in Aug and they left the house in horrible shape, in 15 years of renting it has never been left with that level of damage.

The kitchen floor has started molding between the cracks of the planks...where they come together. Since it floats, what I am thinking is any food, crumbs, or liquid that falls or is spilled onto the floor must make its way into those cracks and even under the planks themselves.

Not sure what were going to do about it yet......too many other worse things were dealing with first.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We had something similar, vinyl strip flooring that looked like wood, put in my office (over 5000 square foot of the stuff) about 2 years ago. It is very durable and easy to maintain. The janitors thought it was wood for weeks after walking on it. I was impressed with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For a vinyl type "wood-looking" floating floor, I'd go with the Home Depot Allure product.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/allure?NCNI-5

I installed this (in the Oynx tile pattern) in a new bathroom, liked it so well we used the same stuff in the laundry room, shower hall, and entryway a year later.

It's a commercial quality flooring that has a 2" self adhesive overlap between sheets. It's really thick, and the overlaps between sheets make it pretty much impossible for water to work its way between panels. I did the bathroom as a diy project, but used a carpenter on the larger area since that was part of a larger project. He had never tried this stuff before and is now a believer in it.

We're now debating about using the same thing in the kitchen instead of ceramic tile.

The only problem with it is that they recommend not using it on porches and sun rooms that have direct sun on the floor as the heat isn't good for it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Big Rock, I think HomesteadJack has the answer. There have been some real advances in flooring in the last ten years or so. If you are looking at a wet area, kitchen, bath, laundry and is also a high traffic area, this is the stuff. And although as a contractor I don't like dealing with Lowe's or Home depot, they have good prices and some decent support for the DIYer. Send us pics of the project, start to finish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts