flooring suggestions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marvella, Jun 27, 2005.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i've always lived in old farmhouses, until i bought this place. it has the prettiest green carpet- i love the color. but i HATE having to take care of it.

i'm making plans for building my long-awaited house. i'm pretty sure i don't want carpet. not sure i am up to the waxing and buffing, or expense, of hardwood.

what i want is something that looks nice, but above all is low maintenance. i am a busy woman, and want to make my housekeeping as easy as possible. upon occasion, i sometimes have livestock living in my house for short periods of time. in the winter i have two really old dogs that snooze by the fire until spring. gretchen is not always continent.

any suggestions?? the place will be around 1000 sq. ft. and i expect i'll like to do all the floors the same. so practical, durable, easy maintenence and at least a step above concrete that can just be hosed off.:) too cold in the winter. :haha:

i mean, i'd go ask the guys at lowe's, but they always look at me strange when i tell them what i need :bash: .

any suggestions??

2. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

Well, ya ruined it for me when you said no concrete. I was going to suggest stamped, colored concrete (think the look of tile, durability of concrete). If it was sealed properly and you added radiant heat to it it would be perfect for what you want.

3. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Tile...something like Saltillos will look nice and when they dull or get chipped or worn it adds 'charm'....some of the tile we have in the kitchen has dog paw prints imprinted from when they were laid out to dry in Mexico...Kind of cool....

Concrete can be nice too BUT the floor at the restaurant I worked at that had these had definite wear patterns from useage.

Of course there is always wood floors that you allow to age and weather...that way you don't care when the dog scratches them....LOL

4. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Our floors are rough-sawn 2 x 8 pine, sawn at the Gonvick's mill. They are 33 years old and have a beautiful color now, and Nancy made lots of braided-wool rugs. We put ten coats of high gloss varnish on the floors, after we put tar between the joints -- after I sanded all the floors with my old belt sander -- these planks are over 2" think and very solid.

2 x 8 Pine, Nancy's Rug Over root Cellar Hatch

You can duplicate an old-cabin-look, like ours, on any floor, if you want too.

Good Luck,

Alex

5. bgood

bgood Member

Hi Marvella,

I'm with rzrubek on this one. Colored concrete can look just like stone and once it's sealed should last a good long time. Good luck and congrats on the new house.

6. marvella

well, i hadn't thought of PRETTY concrete!! LOL!! iwas imagining something with a drain in the middle i could just hose down when it got dirty, kind of like a garage floor. :haha:

but with the concrete, and the tile, what happens when you drop something? doesn't it break into a million pieces?

alex- that is really pretty!! you did that with green wood from the sawmill? and the BIG question is... how about keeping it clean? what does your DW say?? i imagine she does most of the cleaning??

i haven't decided on interior walls yet, either.

7. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

If you use radient heat you don't have to worry about cold floors, no matter what you put down. If you do it yourself, you will save money. We have laminate flooring. Easy care, but you must be careful not to let water sit on it. I think you would like linoleum. Don't get a shiney no wax vinyl because they outgas toxins. Tile would be nice, I think. You have to seal the grout, but that's no big deal. If it chips, you can buy stuff to repair it. You can even put an abrasive tile near the doors to help removed dirt and trim doggie nails. Tile will be cold unless you have in-floor heat.

8. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

When Nancy is not in the garden, or helping sand logs, or varnishing, or helping pick roots, or lighting Katie-The-Cookstove, or washing, or making great vegetarian meals, or helping me: then she seems to be sweeping or moping.

Seriously, each floor is only 560 square feet, Nancy doesn’t seem to spend much time, I try to do my part -- but, you know, I don't, yet it needs to be keep after if you want it nice. It is a farm: dust and stuff is around, it is in the country.

The Pine must have been dried before we got it, because it didn't shrink much.

Alex

9. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

Alex,

You said you put tar in between the boards...what was that for? ( sorry if it is a dumb question) Also, what kind of tar ( like roofing?) and how did you keep from getting it all over the boards? I love your floor and would like to use it in a house me and my Dh have been working on for two years. We are almost to the flooring ( yea!!) Thanks.

10. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Grand,

I put the tar between the boards to seal them: no air flow -- even though below I put insulation, sawdust at first and recently changed to 8" of fiberglass; also, no dirt falls down or comes up -- it is cleaner -- less work for the sweeping and moping person.

I used cheap regular tar, about $2 for a big tube. I wiped it off with a rag with mineral spirts on it. I had a few coats of varnish on the floor first, so the black color didn't get into the wood. If you do what I did: get rough wood, install, then sand, you could do it at first, before you sand, because you would sand it off.

I doubt many would use rough non T&G lumber, even though my way is cheaper and has a certain look -- it is a lot of work -- only if you do it yourself -- otherwise, have lots of money.

Good Luck, go for it,

Alex

11. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

We like hardwood with several coats of satin polyurethane. No waxing or buffing ever, just damp mop once in a blue moon.

12. plantaholic

plantaholic Active Member

Check out diynetwork.com for acid stained concrete floors. GORGEOUS! used in big hotels. Radiant heat like the others said and it is perfecto!

13. marvella

wow! i'm surprised so many like concrete!!

do you all have it in your homes?? you really like it that much?? i'm going to have to look into it more seriously.

i thought people were going to tell me about stuff like the pergo whatever. is it low maintenance? the stuff that is supposed to look like wood?

i've had vinyl, and lots and lots of linoleum. :no:

14. marvella

wow!! that really is pretty!! we've got lots of old tobacco barns around here. some even have chestnut beams, but they are getting more scarce all the time.

that is about maintenance free.:) if all is going well, i get a day a week to focus on this place. i may have to forego the dusting in between. LOL!!

i love the look of wood. anything that makes me feel like i am in an old growth forest is good. i especially like the idea of recycling. do you mind telling me how and where you found that wood? chances are better than half i will have to pay someone to get them, and install them, for me.

this really pretty green carpet shows every bit of lint and scrap. vacuuming every day isn't enough, expecially when the grandbabies tramp through!! or there aren't chicks in the bathtub, or a baby goat that got too cold, or... you get the picture. LOL!!