floor wire

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by bob clark, Nov 3, 2005.

1. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

2. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

I would advise against vinyl for floor wire for two reasons. I have some carriers made out of vinyl and when rabbits have to be in them for any length of time, they will chew the vinyl off. Second reason. Once or twice a year cages need to be sterilized and you often do that with a propane torch and that would spell disaster for the vinyl.
    If you go to Klubertanz.com they have some very reasonably priced "galvanized after welding" (very important) floor wire in rolls. Make sure that it is galvanized after welding as if it's galvanized before welding, the welding destroys the glavanizing and it will rust.
    Also, the galvanized after welding wire is slightly thicker. If it's galvanized before than get no smaller than 12ga. That small gauge wire on the floor is bad about sagging under weight and making for sore hocks.
    Hope this helps. :)

3. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

4. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Bob
    If your cages are sized properly (not too large) the gauge of the wire isn't that critical especially if it's GAW wire. If you are raising giant breeds it could be more of a factor, but the practical difference between 12 and 14 gauge wire is negligible. I agree that the vinyl coated wire is a loser with rabbits... If you want to pamper them, put a poplar 1X8 in there with them - they'll lay on it when they want off the wire AND it'll give them something to chew on...

5. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

I kind of made myself unclear when I last wrote. An ooops. It happens when I type faster than I'm thinking. I'm very sorry.
    What I meant was no smaller than 14 ga. UGH! It's the 16ga that is way too thin. At Klubertanz you can get 12 1/2 ga, but it's expensive. I will say that if you get the Galvanized after welded wire it is thicker. We've used it and it holds up very well and seems to help with sore feet.
    I'm sorry about that. Thinking one thing and typing another. :D

6. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

When I ordered my welded wire from Klubertanz, they advised my NOT to use the vinyl coated wire for rabbits. I use rebar rods under the cage for support and to raise the cage to put the litter tray under the cage. I had to make four cages quickly because my sweet little babies suddenly turned into four killer rabbits. One minute they were sleeping together peacefully and the next they were doing a wrestlemania steel cage match. :eek: One rabbit is missing a piece of its' ear but they were all ok otherwise.

It's a strange coincidence that I was watching wrestling when my rabbits started fighting. I guess it's true that watching wrestling causes aggressive behavior in kits!!!

:nana:

7. bob clark

bob clark A man's man