Floor under wood boiler

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by .netDude, Dec 28, 2005.

1. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

I plan on installing a tile floor underneath a wood boiler (not installed yet). The subfloor is (I think) half inch plywood, and the tiles are 6x6x1/2". Can I install the tile right on this, or should I add something to it to make it more 'supportive' to the 1000lb boiler? There is no basement under the floor where this will be installed.
    Thanks -Greg

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I would be reluctant to install tile on such a sub base. Tile with weight on it is best applied over concrete. The tile and grout will not tolerate any movement and you will have movement with your floor and the weight of the boiler.

3. .netDude

Could I add another layer of plywood, or replace it with 3/4"? What else could I use, as the floor has to be non combustible material?
    Thanks.

4. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

If the subfloor will stand the weight put 4" of reinforced concrete down

5. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

another thought...set the legs on peices of plate steel, then put drywall on the floor, and peice it around the legs

6. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

You need to check and see if the floor joists will withstand this much added weight. If it will I'd use a metal plate on the floor to support the boiler.

7. justmyluk

justmyluk Well-Known Member

Remove the baseboard next to the wall and drill about a half inch hole in the floor to see exactly how thick your subfloor is. Most houses in the last 20 or so years have a double subfloor (2 sheets of plywood). If you only have a single sheet then go to lowes or home depot and buy the concrete subfloor that goes under tile in a bathroom (I think they come in 2x4 foot sections) It can be nailed down just like plywood. Then just go under the house and reinforce your floor joist in the area where the boiler is going to sit with concrete blocks. I don't know how big an area you plan to tile, but to reinforce an 8x8 area should cost you less than $100. Good luck and keep us posted.

8. agmantoo

Get the exact foot print of the boiler and locate the pattern where it does NOT lie on top of a floor joist. Using a hole saw cut four holes in the floor the diameter of four pieces of 2 inch or greater steel pipe. Go under the house and dig 4 corresponding footers and place the pipes in concrete in these footers. Obtain 4 nipples or flanges the same diameter as the pipe but in conduit size thread and mount the boiler on these using the pipe as extended feet. In so doing the floor will not be carrying the weight. A small "sandbox" built under the boiler will provide a non combustionable surface cheaply.

9. .netDude

How do I know if they'd withstand this?

Should I reinforce all the joists as the boiler will have to travel across the room, or only the ones where it will rest?

Wow. That'd work. Was hoping not to have to go to those lengths. Think the cat's might like the sand box, though.

I don't have access to below without going through the floor, so it looks like I'll have to rip up some of what's there to do any of this.

Thanks.

10. agmantoo

Since you cannot access under the floor drill the pattern as I described above. Set the pipe thru the holes and then drive the pipes into the ground using a manual hand type post driver. Cut the pipe to the height you need and mount the boiler legs to these pipes. If this building is only a few inches off the ground you could cut a big hole in the floor and just pour a concrete slab to meet the needs of the boiler.