flooding big time

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MELOC, Jun 27, 2006.

1. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

major flooding on the homestead today. i live just west of gettysburg over the ridge and near the app. trail. i have no idea how much rain we have received on the past few days but the flooding came to my basement today. of course i was not prepared. the sump pump was not hooked up. when i did hook it up, the plastic flex line was leaking in three or four places from where i was moving stuff around this winter while fixing the fuel oil line. i was lucky to pull all of the leaky pipe out of the basement and stuff it into an old down spout i had laying around. that is a quick fix for now.

a drain line from an old root cellar basement was plugged up and spouted out into my driveway. i just fixed that driveway. i added crusher run to build it up from normal wear several months ago and just patched a long term , reoccuring pothole at the bottom of the driveway. well so much for progress. :shrug: i now have an 8 inch gully that washed out from the flooding i will need to repair.

i have a small cottage on a 100 x 110 lot down the street. last fall, heavy rain made one half of an old willow break off. it took a long time to clear as live willow is surprisingly hard to cut due to its gummy character. this spring, one half of the willow in that back yard broke off the same way. i had just finished clearing that mess when a very large oak that is marked to be sold this autumn fell over onto my uncle's precious yet unoccupied 1 acre that is in the middle of my timber lot. i spent all of last week clearing that and still have some to cut away for firewood so he can mow. now yesterday, while coming home from a stressful job search, i noticed the other half of the cottage lot's front willow had broken off. :grump:

ok, all willows must die. they seem to be a pain. they were pruned for so many years, they had huge top-heavy knots at the top of the trunk causing the tree to split. never again after this is over. dadgummit! :grump:

apart from my boo-hooing, i would just suggest to everyone to make your flood preps asap. you never know. take advantage of any chance you get to clear drains, prep sump pumps and trim your trees.

2. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

Over 13 inches here since saturday afternoon and more to come. Yesterday we had to pull our submerged fishing boat out from under the pier, tree fell on anchor line. Still runs too...

3. MELOC

note to self...the sump pump is plugged into a recepticle on a lamp outlet...LEAVE THE LIGHT ON. :rolleyes:

4. 3dogmom

3dogmom Well-Known Member

Oh MELOC you're really having a rotten time of it! Getting those trees cleaned up is a lot of work. It has rained here in SE VA for days but we haven't had as much as other places in the state. I sure hope you can keep your basement dry. Your attitude sounds good though. I guess you won't be planting willows huh?

5. MELOC

i guess the willows aren't so bad in general. i just inherited the place last year and my uncle, the good one, had always trimmed the willows annually. the butts where he had trimmed to are huge. they are the size of a pony. i guess if you start with a new willow and keep it in check it wouldn't be so bad. i think they were planted there to dry the land as years ago it supposedly laid wet. i suppose i will find out when i remove them for good. they are too high-maintenance for landscaping.

6. farmwife

farmwife Well-Known Member

We got 16 inches since it started raining on the weekend! We live North of Lancaster! We were scrambling to get chickens out of the pasture where we free range them. The creek over flowed and down the middle of the pastured! It even came in the bottom half of our barn where we had couple week old Turkeys. Thankfully we got them out just in time!

We lost some Chickens through out the rain, but at least we have some left!

7. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

we are in sw va and we have had so much rain ---- glad we built on top of the hill. A gully which had formed along driveway was like a river down to the creek which is really normally a puddle of water, was wild - thank goodness the army corp had the land sellers put in that huge culvert pipe at bottom of driveway. Now that we know where water will go, we had to "beef" up a few areas with trenching and big rocks.

Did get a puddle of water in basement - working on that with wetvac that doesn't really work!

When the builder put the tar and plastic on bottom of foundation, we insisted they put dryloc on outside of foundation showing. We need to add gravel behind house because that's where water sits a bit and comes in. The builder did leave us the rest of the dryloc so i will be doing the inside of basement with that as well.

All in all, for the amount of rain we had since Friday, we did o.k.

Willow trees are pretty but a very week tree. We had one taken down at our old house because it was hanging over it.

I wish you luck in your situations.

8. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

We've had rain for 9 or 10 days now, I don't know how many inches. My husband deepened the wet-weather creek that runs by our house and so far it hasn't overflowed its banks, my fingers are crossed. My garden... ack! Broccoli plants on their sides, oregano and rosemary mushy black and drowned.... but the garden is no big deal as long as the house doesn't flood.

9. MELOC

my broccoli is laying over as well, as well as my potatos. most of the tomatoes had cages or stakes so they are fine. glad i didn't get a chance to plant corn or i would be running a string fence today, lol.

it could be worse as some folks in the greater area have died, or so i hear.

10. MELOC

keep looking up!

the broccoli did a great job of standing back up on it's own!

11. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

rained here no flooding were on a hill :D

Kenneth

12. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

We're right down the road in Maryland, Frederick County. It's been terrible. Three people drowned just down the road from us, in the same creek that runs through our property. Their car was stuck in the water and the rescuers couldn't get to them in time. And two teenages a few towns over are missing and presumed drowned. So sad.

We walked down by the creek this morning and there is debris 8 feet up in the trees!! How could a fairly small creek get that high that quickly? It's just incredible. Our entire yard was a river during the storm and it happened so fast. Flooded barn and shop, but we got off pretty lucky compared to a lot of people in the area.

13. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

..Sounds like a very difficult situation in the East..I hope all of you get through all this safe and relatively sound.

Take care..

14. MELOC

yeah, i saw that about the myersville incident, really sad. i do feel for the families.

i am in waynesboro. i had two seasonal flash floods in my yard, one in a sometimes wet flood run and one in my backyard that happens when it gets really bad. luckily some ditches diverted most of it from the driveway or i would have had a three foot gutter washed out instead of the 8-9 inches i got. the stream next to my house is constantly flowing but rushed like a river last night...incredible. it was definately one for the books. i was up all night monitoring the sump pump.

if i had a micro-power station in the creek like i want to have, it would have washed away. i need to get some better planning for the future hydro power i plan.

15. tiffnzacsmom

tiffnzacsmom just me Supporter

Hold tight people, I feel for you. I'll be in Gettysburg in a month, don't let it wash away.

Georgette, who lives right along the Ohio and is either paranoid or noticed it was a bit high this evening