Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday afternoon we had a wonderful hard rain shower, about 40 minutes. We needed the rain really bad. Then I mowed with the riding mower. I was out feeding bread by where I had mowed, had a wheelbarrow full of bread, and a flock of Dragonflies came where I was, and was dive bombing either me or the bread, not sure which. I break up the bread and toss it in the air. There were about 50-60 Dragonflies, all together, excited about something. It was a bit kinda scary, they were coming very close to me. I even squatted down on the ground, said I'm not too sure I like this much... :) I was in the middle of them. Anyway, I left quickly, and they followed me all the way to the front of the farm. I was on my mower again. I cut into the front field to ditch them, and they stayed in their flock by the front gates then went over by Steve on his riding mower and followed him around. We don't have a pond up here, so I though maybe the storm blew them in and they were confused? We usually see some, but never like that, all together on a mission.

I told Steve, and he says they call them 'snake doctors' here. He says if you run over a snake with the mower, they come to the snake. ?? Anyone else heard of that? Have you seen flocks of them traveling along?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I live in Korea. For a few months every summer there are flocks of dragonflies all over the place. I live on the 13th floor and there're sometimes hundreds right outside my window. On my way to work I'll pass through/by several along the 20 minute walk along the park paths. They're always out right after a rain. I love dragonflies, and I like seeing them.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
I've seen that; thought it was beautiful, all those iridescent colors whirring around. Walked right into a big meeting of those large green/blue ones, though they didn't attack me, more buzzed around me, sometimes hovering in front of me like they were trying to figure out what the two-legged interloper was. :p

I think after a good rain they're either catching insects that have come out, or making more little dragonflies, not sure which. They're "good" bugs though, so don't squish them!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Here's an article and a website I found...looks like even the scientists are not sure :rolleyes:

http://www.eduwebs.org/bugs/dragonfly.htm

Presented at the NABS Annual meeting, Athens, Georgia, 2003 in Systematics and Life History I

Dragonfly swarm ecology and behavior
L. Zuehls and D.A. Soluk. Program in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Dragonfly swarms occur when adults exhibiting a stereotypical tight interweaving flight pattern, form a high-density aggregation within a confined area. Swarms are often composed of multiple species. Little quantitative information exists on the frequency, function, or conditions that triggers swarm formation. We studied swarming behavior of dragonflies in Door County, Wisconsin with a focus on the federally endangered Hine’s emerald dragonfly, Somatochlora hineana. We recorded weather conditions, prey abundance, dragonfly behavior, and sex ratios during swarms. Weather (temperature, wind speed, and dew point) constrained swarm activity. There were two peaks of swarm activity: late morning to early afternoon, and in the evening before sunset. Swarms exhibited a skewed sex ratio, with more females participating in swarms. Foraging was the dominant behavior observed, suggesting that dragonfly swarming activity may be correlated with prey abundance. However, mating behaviors and attacks by predators were also observed. The complex nature of dragonfly swarms makes this phenomenon difficult to study, with much left to learn about the importance of swarming in dragonfly biology.

·
Premium Member
4,119 Posts
I'll take all the dragonflies I can get. The blackflies are enjoying a revival here now and are biting with abandonment now that the late spring/early summer crop of dragonflies has dropped off.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I love dragonflies. They eat tons of mosquitoes. That's what they are after. Either that, or whatever they thought the bread particles might be flying insect prey. I've allow any dragonfly to dive around me, because I see they are taking flying pests and eat them. Things like deer flies, they also devour. Dragonflies are your friends. Amazing creatures that go back millenium. You are lucky to be having them around.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Madroaster said:
I live in Korea. For a few months every summer there are flocks of dragonflies all over the place. I live on the 13th floor and there're sometimes hundreds right outside my window. On my way to work I'll pass through/by several along the 20 minute walk along the park paths. They're always out right after a rain. I love dragonflies, and I like seeing them.
I had forgotten about some of the S. Korean dragonflies. Thanks for the memory. Good times.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.