Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from the high desert! I have a greenhouse/converted to chicken house where my 16 chickens, 12 guinea, and 2 adult pea fowl live. I bet there were 5000 flies out there just now when I went to make sure the chicks were warm enough. I know they are going inside because it is fall and all that. But I am wondering if there is something I can spray on the floor (droppings/straw/woodchips) when all the birds are out in the daytime that will kill the suckers?????

·
Registered
512 Posts
Try sprinkling some Stall-Dri or Sweet PDQ on the bedding. That should help to dry things out and reduce odors, which would make the coop less attractive to flies. You could also try dairy barn spray (comes in a tannish spray can with white lid, available at about every farm store I've ever been in).

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
If you decide you don't want to use chemicals, you can get a couple muscovy ducks; they don't quack, eat tons of flies and taste great!

·
Registered
512 Posts
"Everyone" says that the fumes from cedar are bad for the chickens' respiratory system, so I've never used it around them. Could be true, could be one of those untrue things that gets repeated so many times that everyone believes it, I just don't know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts