flies gallore

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by farmerdan, Aug 21, 2004.

1. farmerdan

farmerdan Well-Known Member

The flies here in western Michigan are terrible this summer. I've tried rubs - which my beef cows avoid at all cost - and sprays - they run as soon as I pump the sprayer one time. A friend of mine told me that she heard that feeding cattle garlic or putting cider vinegar in their watering tank would help rid the flies. Has anyone tried either of these before? If you have how much garlic or vinegar is needed? Thanks for you help!

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Kev

Kev Member

Hey farmerdan,
    I use garlic powder for my horse, i put 2 tsp. of garlic in her grain everyday and it really seems to help. It took a few days to start working, but i sure am noticing a difference. I also use it on my dogs.

4. Ken in Minn

Ken in Minn Well-Known Member

Hi Farmerdan and All
    I have been working with an all natural flie repeller. we make this stuff from all natural plants. We are just in the testing stage now. I have tried it on myself several timess with perfect results. We have put it on our dogs and horses and all so a very tame Dexter cow. All the animal had no flies or mosquitos for several days. I have it in a spray form and a cream form. I hope to have it on the market next yr. It is not a stincky product. We will be giving people on these b.b.s a very special price, as a pay back for all I have learned on these b.b.s. Watch for my posts in the spring on this product. I will post in here. but will be here in the meantime, just learning. So you all keep posting. Thanks for your time.

Ken in Minn
    www.soycandleworks.com