Flickering Blue Lights

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Jan 5, 2005.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Last few days we've been having heavy rain.When I had my Satelite Internet Service hooked up they said weather wouldn't bother it :rolleyes: Yea Right!! I'm just wondering how long I can be on today.

I have to admit it is fast but if the weather is bad forget it. :waa:

big rockpile

2. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

When we had a dish it would go out every time the wind would blow just the right way. We have cable now, and it will send a weather alert message and tell us to change to a certian channel to hear the report. When we get where hubby wants to be in a couple years we may not have a choice anymore, so Im soaking it all up now while I can. :)

3. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Sat internet installed, installer said weather would affect it and some times it does.

Sat TV installer said weather would affect it and sometimes nut not often it does.

Not happy withe the internet speed as I am used to cable when we were in the city.

Maybe you had a dishonest installer and I would contact the company and let them know.

4. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

We're having an ice storm here in NW Missouri. Freezing rain all night and it's still sleet mixed with rain this morning. We hear trees cracking and crashing down around us. They are predicting snow this afternoon...so it's just a matter of time before our cable tv & internet service goes bye-bye! Our electricity has flickered a couple of times....I hope we don't loose power as we have in the past.....then things really get exciting!

5. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

How about ice storms? We're having one now.

6. big rockpile

Yea I know some are having it worse.I guess the river by me is out of its banks.They are letting out school early because of it.We're just having rain.

big rockpile

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Sat tv here,snow on dish,it goes out,need to put a little roof over it and its OK,but Im moving so why bother.Heavy heavy clouds will block it out(rare).
    Dont know about sat internet though.

BooBoo

8. RobinAnn

RobinAnn Well-Known Member

Most interesting suggestion was when the tech in India told my dh to spray "PAM" on the dish to repell snow.

Yep, the snow might not stick, but can you imagine that thing after a dust storm?

9. big rockpile

Yelp PAM helps as far as Snow and Ice.Satelite Internet is so much more picky than TV.Here is a Pic of both my Dishes

[​IMG]

big rockpile

10. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Been a few years sence i had satellite (TV) service but i have had both DishNetwork and Direct.Dishnetwork never picked up if a storm was approaching.Even after they adjusted it to the best signal they could get.Maxed! Direct was fine as long as it had 90+ signal strength.(took a really bad storm to bother it.I didn't want the TV on during such storms anyway. :eek: ) I installed and kept it adjusted.If it is bolted to a post or even maybe the house it might need to be readjusted when the temp changes from winter to summer.As things shrink and expand the dish may be getting off a bit.Does it show you'll signal strength some where?
    Call them up and complain they might come out and get you a better signal.

11. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

big rockpile when I first read your thread title on Flickering Blue Lights :eek:

I thought what is John The Law doing at your house now ? :confused:

Clad to hear it is just a Internet consern ! ! ! :haha:

Just kidding of course. :)

Have a great day brother,..... from bumpus ! ! !

12. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

The Satellite dishes are line of sight and clouds/storms will affect them. If you have a clean shot at the sky and a good alignment it should take a fairly heavy storm to affect TV picture much, but your internet service will be more sensitive. TV can lose some data without much loss of quality (OK, sarcasm intended), but even a little loss of data will adversely effect your internet connection though. Ice and snow is especially tough on the signal, and if any of those branches can get in front of the dish or if the dish is not solidly secured, then the wind can affect you as well. If the installer did not admit these things to you, then I am afraid he was less than truthful.

13. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Rockpile, I have had Direcway since 2001 and it has only goes out as follows:

When there is severe weather (thunderstorm) here

When there is severe weather at the downlink (Maryland)

When direcway satellite is having problems

Snow has never bothered it, nor has rain or wind.

The downlink signal beam is about the dia of a 1lb coffee can but the uplink beam is the size of a quarter, so any movement of the dish will degrade the signal. I have an elk that is in love with my dish and every rut he seems to knock it out of alignment but lucky for me the pole is marked so re-alignment is a snap.

Have you ever been to dsl reports? http://www.dslreports.com/ There is a satellite forum that will help you tweak it for faster and more reliable service. I just did a speed test and my DL was 2.2mb/sec UL was 128K

14. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

you mean the installer lied to you LOL! imagine that! our sat system goes up and down like a yoyo when the skys are overcast, but what ya gonna do, we have no land lines of any kind so we are thrilled to have it and to only hve to pay 59.00 per month for the opportunity!

15. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) :pam really doesn't help keep the snow off. You still have to climb up there and brush the sucker off! :( High wind will make it wonky too.) All in all though I am happy with these little Sat.dishes. Beats nothing!

I am however, very upset that MY setup does not have those fancy flickering blue lights! Where does one get them big rockpile?

LOL LQ

16. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Our microwave antenna for the ISP is on the antenna and it has 3 or 4 lights of different colors and puts on quite a show.

mikell

17. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

For the blue lights you have to upgrade to the DW6000 system. A lot of $$ for a change of lights. Just put a really cheap and short set of inside Christmas lights around your desk, monitor and modems and whammmo, instant light show

18. big rockpile

This is the way my Lights are suppose to look.Did good today even though it was Snowing

[​IMG]

big rockpile

19. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

Still living where we have great dial-up, for now. However someday I will have to evolve into wireless.
    For now just content with watching the LED's on my windmill, and the NE2's on my antennas. lol :)

20. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Pam just made a sticky mess for me too.The covers of vinyl just make a vinyl snow catcher.Also Im sure dish angle affects how they catch snow.
    All in all,I like the sat,plus it travels with us in the RV,a portable dish,grab a home reciever,great reception anywhere weve ever travelled.

BooBoo