Flicka Update

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by canadianmandy, Jan 1, 2006.

1. canadianmandy

canadianmandy Certified Animallover!

Flicka's Legs are now both straight but she still cannot walk.... she chooses to remain on her knees?? anybody know how to teach her to walk?? I splint her legs but I cannot leave them on her b/c she cannot ay down and she tries to throw herself onto her knees and I am worried she will break her legs... When I have her up in her sling she does really good ...she tries to prance around but as soon as shes out on her knees she goes... any Ideas???
    *to bad no body has made walkers for sheep*
    ~`*Mandie&Flicka*`~
    *sorry about the title lol I accidently posted another post here and I just edited it to be this one ...but it wont let me fix the title*

2. Celtic_Knot

Celtic_Knot Celtic Heritage Farms

Try standing her on her legs when you bottle feed and every time she drops to her knees don't feed her but stand her back up, try to make standing upright a posotive and show her that she gets more of what she wants when she does it.

3. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

Hi Mandie,

I have a few ideas but you need to try different things and see what might work. Is she able to get up on her feet in a normal standing position when not in the splints or sling ?
    Then I would be tempted not to put the splints on as I have found sometimes they hinder the normal use of their legs and hesitate to walk.
    I would also work with her outside and have someone else stand her up and encourage her to come to or with you as that person holds her up to walk. She needs to strengthen those muscles on her own. Even if her legs are not perfect they will improve with use.
    As Celtic mentioned, positive reinforcement might be needed as well, the lambs I have had to splint were with their moms or siblings and they were encouraged to get up and go to either get to them or to keep up...
    Is she still small enough to fit in a baby walker where you can cut out two more leg holes ? This sounds ridiculous but who knows?
    I can get on messenger in the next couple nights and talk too, (Have not been on since my kids have been home for break).

4. Celtic_Knot

Celtic_Knot Celtic Heritage Farms

It may also be painful for her to walk as she hasn't been walking for the majority of her young life. I doubt that there's much synovial fluis or muscle build up in the lower leg. Maybe you could try wheel-barrow walking and backwards wheel-barrow walking to help her get used to putting moving weights on the joints and getting coordination in the legs.

5. canadianmandy

umm she does not try to stand on her own ... unless I hold her up then she stands and then throws herself on her knees ... I dont think making her stand when she eats will work. I have taken her outside and she walks on her knees and if I have someone hold her up she tries to fly pulling toward me and is totally out of breath from struggling ... I will try the wheel barrel Idea ... She would no longer fit in a baby's walker she is growing fast ... but maybe putting wheels on her sling would help ... I cant wait to see her walk...
    ~`*Mandie&Flicka*`~

6. eieiomom

Mandie,

Why don't you give the vet that you took her to a call and ask if they have any ideas ?
    Those muscles need to be used and I am out of ideas .....

7. eieiomom

One more question,
    When she is up in the sling, are her feet on the ground ?
    Is there a way to lower her so she has to put contact on her feet more often ?
    I wonder if you could detach the sling and with 2 people, hold it while she walks ?
    Sounds like a lot of work, but you have made it this far :)

8. canadianmandy

Hey eieiomom .. We are going to talk to the vet again .. and Yes she does does the touch the ground with her feet and looks like shes tring to walk ... If two ppl where to hold her up in the sling how fast should they "walk" her at lol I am gonna try attach wheels and let her try it out tomorrow ... We are just worried that if she gets bigger she will never walk :help: im still a [​IMG] at this lol
    ty ~`*Mandie&Flicka*`~

9. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

Hey dont all shout at me but I am wondering if swimming would be good therapy for those lazy limbs?

10. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

You know, that's not such an off-the-wall idea.

Have you got a deep bath tub or some such?

11. Tamar

Tamar Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

First off, thanks so much to each of you for showing such love and support to Mandy and Flicka. I think Mandy needs much more support and prayer. During her feed with Flicka tonight she discovered that somehow Flicka broke her leg. Just above her back "knee" joint, the bone is broken. She gave Flicka some baby Aspirin and we are going to visit the vet first thing in the morning. We noticed today that she was breathing very heavy all day, and we are not sure when the break occured. Many remembers hearing a crack when we supported her front legs as was suggested to walk (something about a wheelbarrow) We noticed that whereas she should have some muscles there, she hardly has anything there. We are not sure if this can be set, those where the only legs she was really using and she continued to walk on her front elbows so to speak. Anyways, Mandy is very much sorrowed and has been gently rocking Flicka in her arms. Please just keep them both in your thoughts and hearts? She has gleaned so much from ya'll and this coming weekend is her 17th birthday. Again, thanks to all of you who support her so much and encourage her, especially to eieio (sp?) Mom.

Blessings to all,
    Tamar

12. eieiomom

Hugs to Mandie.