Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my flemish does is due on Wednesday or so. On Sunday, I saw a kit, still in the bag, along with a purplish looking clump, on the cage floor. I know she has more than one in her. Is it possible for her to know a kit is bad and push it out or is she going to loose all of them. Never had this happen before. New to this. I put hay in her nest box and checked on her this morning, wasnt any more kits. The dead one was pretty tiny. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sounds like a miscarriage to me. The purplish clump was afterbirth. Are you sure she has more than one? Did you palpate? I don't think she can voluntarily push out a bad kit. I guess time will tell, if there are some that will deliver on time. When my does miscarry, they expel all the kits in one or two days-whatever is in there. I've never had a doe miscarry one or two and then deliver the rest of the litter on time. I have had does deliver a healthy litter and have one tiny undeveloped one in with the rest. I would wait a few days and then rebreed her.
Robin

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I got home Tuesday night, there was another one still in the birth bag, but now she has hair pulled with a nest. I dont know what to think. I finally get her concieved and shes losing them.

I did have a friend of mine, who used to raise new zelands, palpate her and show me how to do it. He said there was at least 7.

Only time will tell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts