Flemish Giants.....

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by mjhackwith, Mar 23, 2018.

1. mjhackwith

mjhackwith Member

Got 2 does , can I breed them to meat rabbits,, ( Californians,new Zealand) ?

2. catsboy

catsboy Well-Known Member

My neighbor is breeding them with meat rabbits and is get some really big rabbits. I don't know what the other bred he is using to bred with the Flemish

3. arnie

arnie Well-Known Member Supporter

sure they will breed ,and you will get kits with some hibred viger ,but you lose some of the efficient meat to bone ratio and feed conversion , of the NZs And Calis ,as the FGs bring ; along with their great size ; big bones ,appitites ,and slower matureing . no big deal as a homesteader you still get an edible rabbit just with bigger bones .

nehimama likes this.
  4. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

haha! yea, like arnie said they ought to do fine. i always put the doe in the bucks cage and never turn my eyes away! usually the deed is done within 60 seconds! But! that depends if you have a decent buck? If they don't breed within 5 min? i put her back into her cage and try again in three days and continue this until bred? I have had Good bucks that I could force breed a doe if necessary? but I haven't needed to try force breeding since I quit meat production! which was years ago! I'm sure all will go fine! If you want the biggest litter possible? I have read that you should breed the doe then breed her again no more than 12 hours later, as the eggs drop within that time after breeding. then you have a shot at a larger litter? or so I've read? seems to do ok? but some does tend to throw a large litter, upwards to 14, but many only 8-12 especially with only breeding 1 time and not the follow up breeding around 10 hours after the first time. I have bred twice about six hours apart because of no time to be ther at the tenth to twelfth hour? i don't know if there is much difference? I never kept actual records? but culled does that only had six more than twice! and kept the ones that had high number litters. Now I keep the does with eight and up because I'm not selling meat! just end up giving it away! to family and friends. make a lot of money that way!! haha! NOT! But the. I. raise rabbits for my spiritual self! not production! I hope you do well! and most of all enjoy the journey of rabbit raising! amy grandchildren all love to hold and pet them kits and Does! best wishes, ray

happy hermits and arnie like this.
  5. crittermomma

crittermomma Well-Known Member

We bred our NZW bucks to Flemish does - got some very nice kits! Good luck!

nehimama likes this.